Date Posted: 10/6/21
DC Greens, a non-profit organization that advances health equity by building a just and resilient food system in the nation’s capital, is currently seeking a Communications Manager.
The Communications Manager is responsible for developing an organization-wide communications plan to ensure a consistent voice aligned with DC Greens values. You will be responsible for public relations, including press releases, media requests, social media, and donor communications. You will also be supporting creation of Policy and Program communications content, ensuring a consistent voice aligned with DC Greens values.
You’re an ideal candidate if you’re passionate about leveraging your skills to strengthen mission-driven organizations, have successfully increased stakeholder engagement and brand awareness through strategic communications, and possess a strength in analyzing social media trends and engagement analytics to inform work plans. The successful candidate must be able to communicate effectively with a diverse range of stakeholders.
This position currently reports to the Development Director, and supervises a Communications Assistant.
Essential Job Responsibilities
- Ensure racial equity and social justice lens is integrated into all communications activities
Develop and implement effective communication strategies that increase and retain the organization’s donor base, improve brand awareness
- Increase the accessibility of DC Greens’ communications language and materials to embody principles of equity and access
- Establish and maintain an editorial publication calendar (includes newsletter publications, social media calendar, photography, graphics, content partnerships, etc.) and supervise projects to ensure that they are publication ready
- Maintain media/press relationships and support the creation of press releases and media kits
- Develop and maintain communications budget
- Contribute to Development’s fundraising communications, including the creation of materials for events
- Responsible for coordinating with external consultants
- Support program staff with the development of program communication strategy, including the design and creation of collateral materials (reports, brochures, one-pagers, program instructions, etc.)
- Supervise Communications Assistant, using values-based supervisory practices
Social Media Management
- Manage all aspects of the organization’s social media presence (website, LinkedIn, Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, YouTube)
- Drive strategy to increase daily engagement on the organization’s social media accounts
- Lead content creation for organization’s Social Media, including written blog content, tweets, posts & videos
- Utilize social media platforms as a tool to increase awareness for key initiatives and events, including community events and fundraiser
- Monitor, report and present on online engagement analytics (web, email, social media, earned media)
- Leverage key engagement metrics across platforms to optimize content, messaging and distribution
- Additional related duties, as needed
Team Contributor and Collaborator
- Participate actively and respectfully in team and staff meetings and retreats
- Contribute to the overall improvement of the organization
- Represent the organization externally, including at major fundraising events, in accordance with stated values
- Expected to be self reflective around how power, privilege, and access supports or challenges efforts to center equity
- Demonstrated commitment to racial justice and equity; experience and cultural competence working with historically oppressed peoples and a strategic understanding of social change
- Demonstrated commitment to the vision and mission of DC Greens’ work
- Experience communicating with a diverse audience (community members, government officials, nonprofit partners, philanthropy)
- 5+ years work experience in Communications
- Experience supervising, managing projects collaboratively with contributors and/or teams
- Clear oral communication skills with the ability to adjust messaging based on audience
- Excellent writing, editing and proofreading skills, with the ability to work across various mediums, from print to digital
- High level of proficiency with Apple iOS, Microsoft Office Suite, Google Suite
- High level of proficiency with digital means of communication and social media tools such as Tweetdeck, Sprout Social, Facebook Pages, Instagram, Twitter; and analytics tools such as Google Analytics, and Simply Measured
- Knowledge of email marketing tools such as MailChimp and website development platforms such as Squarespace
- Demonstrated experience using Adobe Creative Suite and/or and/or Canva, a plus
This is a regular, full-time (40 hours/week) salary, exempt position. The salary range for this position is $73,350 to $78,600 commensurate with experience and non negotiable. There is a generous benefits package (medical/dental/vision, disability/life insurance, 25 days PTO, employer match on retirement contributions after 1 year, flexible schedule). DC Greens does
have a telework policy that allows employees to work remotely. Due to the current pandemic all employees are currently working remotely but being physically present in the office may be a requirement in the future.
How to Apply
If interested, email a cover letter and resume to email@example.com. In your cover letter provide an answer in 250 words or less to the following prompt: What is your personal and professional lived experience with the communities with whom we work?
Please put “Communications Manager” in the subject line and save your cover letter and resume as a single attachment labeled “LAST NAME, FIRST NAME_Application”. Applications will be accepted on the rolling basis with priority given to applicants that apply by October 15, 2021, 11:59 pm EST. Anticipated start date is December 1, 2021.
DC Greens is an equal opportunity employer. We strongly encourage and seek applications from people of color, including bilingual and bicultural individuals, as well as women, and members of the lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender communities. Applicants shall not be discriminated against because of race, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, color, marital status, or medical status. Reasonable accommodations will be made so that qualified disabled applicants may participate in the application process. Please advise in writing of special needs at the time of application.