Fair Food Network
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Date Posted: 11/12/2019
Fair Food Network is looking for an experienced Writer to join our growing communications team. Are you a strategic thinker and skilled writer who thrives breaking complex topics into sticky copy? A passionate storyteller equally able to write compelling long-form narratives and pithy e-news updates? A social-do-gooder (or aspiring one) with an easy sense of humor who wants to use your formidable skills to improve lives? Well then, read on.
The Writer is responsible for creating original content for three brands: Fair Food Network, Double Up Food Bucks which connects with low-income Michigan residents, and Michigan Good Food Fund, which serves good food entrepreneurs. They will write compelling content and collaborate with the Content Marketing Manager to develop an effective strategy for sharing it with key audiences. This position will be part of the Communications Team, working closely with that team as well as program and fundraising teams.
About Fair Food Network:
From farms to families, Fair Food Network connects people to the power of food to grow community health and wealth. Our signature program, Double Up Food Bucks, serves as a national model for healthy food incentives by doubling the buying power of SNAP recipients, helping families bring home more fruits and vegetables while boosting business for local farmers. Through Fair Food Fund, our impact investing arm, we invest in early stage-entrepreneurs who are strengthening communities and local economies through food. Together, we are pioneering and proving innovations that can be owned locally and scaled nationally, for lasting change in communities across the country.
- Conceive of and write memorable content that connects with and engages diverse audiences across print and online channels. Ability and fluency creating long-form and short-form content that engages with diverse audiences across print and digital channels
- Serve as lead content creator for fundraising and investor relations materials including program overviews, advocacy documents, case statements, funder appeals, Fair Food Fund quarterly reports, and Fair Food Network annual reports among other materials
- Provide additional writing support for message development, speech development, press releases, and talking points as needed
- Lead refresh of blog strategy
- Identify and cultivate story ideas from across the organization; interview program teams and partners to gather information
- Assess case studies and other materials created by program teams for tone, consistency, and style
- Serve as a copy editor, reviewing materials from case studies to social media posts for grammar, style, consistency, tone, and flow; work with team to revise drafts as needed to elevate thesis and key messages
- Support Content Marketing Manager in digital content development that drives online traffic and engagement and brand awareness.
- Serve as an in-house communications expert for program teams and their partners, providing content development support and technical assistance as needed
- Serve as lead manager of the External Affairs content calendar (Asana); oversee integration of content and digital editorial schedule
What You’ll Need:
- 3+ years relevant experience
- Commitment to delivering culturally competent work
- Excellent writing skills with ability to pivot between short, snappy headlines and longer form storytelling initiatives
- Audience-first mindset with proven ability to tune content to connect with diverse audiences
- Ability to gracefully pivot when needed, prioritize competing priorities, and responsively collaborate across teams while delivering results.
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Self-initiative and time management in a fast-paced environment
- Familiarity with fundraising communications
- Passion for storytelling and narrative change
- Familiarity with AP Style
- Familiarity in multimedia content creation (podcasts, videos, etc.)
- Experience writing advertisements and/or social media content
- Experience with online project management and content calendars (Asana a plus)
- Desire to learn and continuously improve
- Deeply inspired Fair Food Network’s mission
- Work with passionate, dedicated people
- Apply your skills for social change
- Competitive, comprehensive benefits package including full health benefits, a 401K match, family leave, an open PTO policy, and professional development opportunities
This position can be based in either our Ann Arbor or Detroit offices with regular travel between offices. They will report to Fair Food Network’s Communications Director, Andi Nank, and be joined by two other new communications staff focusing on content and digital. Salary starts at $42,000 and is commensurate with experience.
How to Apply:
Please submit a resume and complete a questionnaire here. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until the position is filled.