Sr. Director, Brand Promotion
National Geographic Society (NGS)
Date Posted: 11/05/2022
How You’ll Contribute
The Communications division leads the development and execution of integrated communications and marketing strategies to further the mission of the National Geographic Society (NGS) and advance its position as one of the world’s most trusted non-profit organizations and global brands. Driven by the Society’s vision to be more globally known for its impactful Explorer-led mission programs, the Division’s creative and strategic minds develop strategic communications, marketing campaigns, creative, content, and media to promote the Society’s strategic plan and key priorities. The Division comprises six departments: Engagement and Marketing Strategy, Brand, Creative, Strategic Communications, Executive Communications, and Content and Editorial.
The Brand department is an exciting new team within the Communications division at NGS. The department develops brand strategy and manages and stewards it accordingly, working zealously to protect the brand and reputation of National Geographic. They also ensure key partnerships reflect brand strategy and values.
Reporting to the VP, Brand, the Senior Director, Brand Promotion is a key member of the Brand team providing strategic counsel and managing brand activations for programmatic and operational teams across the Society. The incumbent works closely with NGS stakeholders to construct a holistic strategy, identify external conferences, develop an enterprise-wide brand activations calendar, manage budgets, and make recommendations to senior leadership and program alignment teams on opportunities that optimally align with NGS’s strategic plan, NG Next.
In addition to supporting the Society’s integrated communications plan, this role will also work closely with the Chief of Program Alignment to lead brand activations for the programmatic portfolio. The Senior Director, Brand Promotion will work with the Engagement and Marketing team on activations and planning efforts, as well as other NGS teams. The Senior Director, Brand Promotion will also be responsible for collaborating with external partners (such as Disney and others) on events and activations.
- Plan, develop and implement overall brand activation plan in support of NG Next (30%)
- Develop and manage annual brand promotion calendar and timelines for all NGS external brand activations. Manage, track and report key budget expenditures as applicable throughout the year. (20%)
- Work cross-functionally with other Communications division teams, program alignment teams, senior leadership, legal, etc. to deliver brand assets for all sponsored activations, including signage, collateral, advertising (print, social, digital, etc.) and any other branded materials to meet defined goals. (20%)
- Foster relationships with external brand partners and consult with key partners, such as Disney, on events and brand activations. (10%)
- Synthesize all information relevant to the planning process, incorporating feedback from key stakeholders, pre-established KPIs, audience insights, etc. to ensure alignment with NG Next. (10%)
- Serve as strategic advisor and thought partner to VP, Brand on external brand activations and opportunities. (10%)
What You’ll Bring
Bachelor’s degree is required. Credentials in communications, branding, marketing, business, or related fields. MBA or advanced degree preferred.
12 years of experience working in a complex, matrixed organization with global brand recognition.
Necessary Knowledge and Skills
- Experience in brand promotion or events marketing.
- Ability to work collaboratively and to develop and nurture strong cross-functional relationships.
- Strategic, analytical thinker who can present information creatively to all levels of the organization, including executive level stakeholders.
- Strong understanding of analytics and ROI measurement for various brand metrics.
- Excellent project management, time management and organizational skills.
- Creativity, flexibility and initiative to manage high volume and a wide range of brand promotion and marketing needs, requests and opportunities.
- Detail oriented and ability to multitask.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills; ability to work with a variety of
- Ability to handle sensitive information confidentially and exercise good
- Strong leadership and interpersonal skills with the ability to navigate complex
- Strong people and prioritization skills.
- Hybrid- This position has been designated Hybrid, meaning the position will be performed from NGS Base Camp two fixed days a week (Wednesday and either Tuesday or Thursday) and can be performed remotely three fixed days a week (Monday, Friday and either Tuesday or Thursday).
- Flexibility to travel up to 30% to attend events and project meetings.
No direct reports
As a leading nonprofit organization, National Geographic Society offers competitive salary and total rewards to attract, develop, and retain an innovative and dynamic workforce.
The salary range for this position starts at $155,000.
Hybrid – At the Society, we believe in the advantages of coming together to build community, mentor and learn from colleagues, and connect more deeply with our mission. As a result, the majority of our staff are Hybrid. Our Hybrid category requires that staff work at Base Camp two days each week: every Wednesday plus either Tuesday or Thursday. Because we recognize that we can effectively work remotely, this designation has been updated to provide more flexibility, both in the days staff choose to come into the office and how often they are expected to be at Base Camp. And of course, Hybrid staff are also always welcome to come in additional days each week if they prefer.
We encourage you to apply even if your experience is not a 100% match with the position. We are looking for someone with relevant skills and experience, not a checklist that exactly matches the job description. We want to help you grow and in return, you help us grow into a stronger, more inclusive organization.