Senior Email Associate
Win Without War
Washington, D.C. or Remote
Date Posted: 9/10/21
We are seeking two talented digital communication experts to contribute to Win Without War’s digital engagement and fundraising efforts. This work will primarily focus on email drafting and campaign spotting across multiple foreign policy issues for action alerts, engagement, and fundraising emails.
The Senior Email Associate should have experience drafting digital communications and will be an integral part of our digital team. Are you an email writer who is highly self-motivated, has excellent communication and critical thinking skills, and can thrive in a fast-paced and dynamic small-team environment? If so, keep reading!
Email Communications (80%):
- Identify opportunities for high-impact digital campaigns that will excite and engage Win Without War’ activists, grow our activist audience, and inspire change.
- Write, edit, and test timely email content to support advocacy initiatives and fundraising efforts (approximately 2-3 drafts/week).
- Work with the Policy and Advocacy teams to draft emails for specific theories of change for campaigns.
- Research current events, stay abreast of the rapidly-changing political climate, and stay on top of news relevant to our issues to support rapid response.
- Drive creative thinking about digital campaigns, storytelling, and engagement tactics.
- Analyze email campaign performance to derive strategic insights.
Program Support (20%)
- Work with the Digital Campaigns Director to ensure we are appropriately leveraging digital channels (including social media and digital advertising) to best support our advocacy and fundraising goals.
- Assist with determining email cadence and calendaring.
- Liaise with peers at partner organizations to understand best practices and identify potential innovations.
- Other duties as needed.
Skills and Experience
We’re looking for two people who have/can:
- A minimum of 1-2 years of experience* in email advocacy, digital fundraising, or online organizing.
- Write in a clear and compelling way, whether it’s engaging emails to motivate our activists to take action or concise, informative updates to other staff members.
- Exceptional and consistent attention to detail.
- Familiarity with email marketing best practices.
- Strong organization skills and the ability to handle many competing priorities without letting key tasks slip through the cracks.
Experience in one or more of the following areas isn’t required, but is a big plus:
- Nuts-and-bolts organizing and/or rapid-response campaigning in an electoral or advocacy setting.
- Emailing to a large email list (150,000+ subscribers).
- Understanding of the operations, structures, and incentives in foreign policy decision making.
- Familiarity with CRM platforms (such as Action Kit, NGP, EveryAction, NationBuilder, ActBlue, MailChimp, etc.), blast email, and/or digital activism tools.
Everyone at Win Without War has:
- A passionate commitment to progressive values, and to our vision of a U.S. foreign policy rooted in those values.
- A willingness to be nimble and work without ego as part of a proactive team of leaders.
- A commitment to the necessity of equity and working to dismantle systems of oppressions.
- The ability to rapidly develop a working understanding of the politics of national security as it involves Congress, the Executive Branch, civil society institutions, social justice movements, material forces, ideology and political culture.
- The ability to work independently when necessary, manage projects, and execute multiple simultaneous tasks on tight deadlines.
*“Experience” does not necessarily mean full-time or paid experience, and we encourage applicants to highlight and consider volunteer and/or lived experience as part of their expertise.
Location: Washington, DC or remote — due to COVID-19, all Win Without War staff have been working remotely since March 2020. Our primary office is based in Washington D.C. (Thomas Circle) and we have a very flexible office policy. This position is open to applicants from all locations throughout the United States.
Compensation and Benefits
Salary: $55,000 per year with annual increases. To ensure pay equity, all salaries are set in bands according to the expectations of the role. In other words, the starting pay for this job is equal to the starting salary of others at the same level throughout the organization. As a result, we do not negotiate salaries.
Win Without War offers a generous benefits package, including health, vision, and dental, unlimited paid vacation, cell phone reimbursement, an employee assistance program, and a retirement program. The position is full time, classified as exempt, and is at-will.
How to Apply
Please submit a resume and a thoughtful cover letter that specifically emphasizes why you think you’d be excellent in this particular role, including why a more peaceful progressive U.S. foreign policy is important to you, in the fields at the bottom of this page.
This is a writing-intensive role, so please use your cover letter as a way of demonstrating your ability to write in a clear, persuasive, and engaging manner. These positions will remain open until filled, but we anticipate closing applications on September 27.
If you have questions about this role or the application process, please direct them to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications sent by email will not be accepted; all applications must be submitted through the form on our website.
Win Without War is part of a network composed of organizations representing a diverse and inclusive movement to radically shift U.S. foreign policy away from a violence-first approach. We want our team to include leaders at every level who recognize the communities and movements our policies impact and reflect the diversity of the United States.
Communities disproportionately harmed by the militaristic nationalism driving U.S. foreign policy and underrepresented in the broader field of foreign policy — including women, people of color, persons with disabilities, immigrants, refugees, Muslims, veterans, and LGBTQ candidates — are strongly encouraged to apply.