Senior Communications Officer, Executive Communications
The Robert Wood Johnson Foundation
Princeton, New Jersey
Date Posted: 10/6/21
The Robert Wood Johnson Foundation seeks a senior communications officer, Executive Communications to further the Foundation’s vision and objectives through the use of strategic communications providing internal and external communications support to the president and CEO.
About the Foundation
The Robert Wood Johnson Foundation (RWJF; the Foundation), located in Princeton, N.J., is the largest philanthropy in America dedicated solely to health. Since 1972, we have focused on developing and promoting innovations in health and healthcare to improve the lives of millions. In partnership with others, we are working toward a nation that is rooted in equity, compassion, and respect. A nation that provides everyone in America a fair and just opportunity to thrive, no matter who they are, where they live, or how much money they have. This requires addressing many harmful obstacles to well-being, including poverty, powerlessness, and discrimination.
We take seriously our responsibilities, and we pledge to work in ways that reflect our Guiding Principles. These are rooted in equity and influence everything we do at RWJF. Equity, diversity, inclusion, and collaboration allow our staff’s wide range of experiences, passions, and perspectives to enrich our work and strengthen our ability to address our nation’s most pressing health issues. The Foundation offers a collaborative, collegial, and creative work environment. With a career at the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation, you will make a difference.
Reporting to and working closely with the vice president, Communications the senior communications officer, Executive Communications will further the Foundation’s vision and objectives through the use of strategic communications providing internal and external communications support to the president and CEO. Senior officers are based in the Foundation’s Princeton, N.J. office.
All staff are expected to demonstrate a passionate commitment to equity and the Foundation’s vision, values, and Guiding Principles.
Essential Job Responsibilities
- Work with the president and CEO to capture thoughts, voice, and vision and develop effective executive communications that relay those thoughts and messages.
- Produce well-written and concise content that supports larger Foundation initiatives.
- Draft long-form speeches, talking points, emails, social media, other digital content, correspondence, and other executive communications products for the president and CEO.
- Use research and data to develop communications that demonstrate national leadership in philanthropy and public health.
- Prepare and facilitate internal approval of all president and CEO communications, external statements, quotes, letters, and publications requiring president and CEO input.
- Partner with Executive Communications colleagues to prepare president and CEO for speaking opportunities.
- Engage with Media Relations team to ensure president and CEO is prepared for interviews.
- Align with Digital team to ensure president and CEO has a consistent and effective digital presence on all digital platforms.
- Manage social media for the president and CEO and ensure alignment with Foundation-wide social media messaging.
- Secure appropriate staffing for president and CEO at speaking events, conferences, and other engagements.
- Perform other related duties to support Communications Department objectives as assigned.
- Commitment to racial and health equity and the Foundation’s vision, values, and Guiding Principles.
- Seven (7) to ten (10) years of executive speech writing, social media communications/marketing, or equivalent business experience.
- Ability to convey thought leadership using various communications platforms.
- Excellent writing, editing, oral presentation, and communication skills. Fluency in Spanish a plus.
- Experience with public health and/or healthcare communications preferred.
- Able to coordinate and/or deliver projects within a given time frame.
- Demonstrated maturity and seasoned judgment; ability to make decisions, justify recommendations, take responsibility for decisions, and be responsive and clear.
- Strong organizational skills with an attention to detail. Experience handling multiple priorities effectively. Adept at organizing time efficiently.
- Strong problem-solving skills. Identify and resolve problems in a timely manner; gather and analyze information skillfully. Develop alternative solutions; work well in group problem-solving situations. Able to demonstrate innovative and analytical approaches to resolutions.
- Dedicated team player who considers others’ opinions, understand impact on other groups, and adapts to change effectively.
- Bachelor’s degree in an appropriate field (e.g., Communications, Business, Marketing) or the equivalent combination of education and/or experience.
Physical Requirements/Working Conditions
The senior officer will perform job duties in a typical business office environment. Specific physical abilities required by this job include operating basic office equipment. Will be required to attend meetings, potentially both in person and off-site via phone or videoconference.
How to Apply
Dunlevy & Associates will manage the search on behalf of the Foundation. All interested candidates should submit a resume and cover letter here. The cover letter should include the following elements:
- Why you are interested in the specific position and the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation.
- Any additional professional and/or personal experience related to the position that is not evident in your resume.
External application Deadline Date
Sunday, October 31, 2021