Senior Communications Associate
The National Association of City Transportation Officials (NACTO)
New York, New York
Date Posted: 01/14/2020
The National Association of City Transportation Officials (NACTO) is seeking a Senior Communications Associate for its Global Designing Cities Initiative (GDCI), a program of NACTO that aims to inspire a shift toward safe, sustainable, and healthy cities by reclaiming and transforming streets. The Senior Communications Associate will report to the Associate Director of Operations and work across all staff to shape and implement strategic communication campaigns, provide storytelling, writing and editing support across projects, develop new web and social media content to increase GDCI’s global presence, and streamline internal processes. We’re looking for candidates who are creative, detail-oriented, and have experience delivering on communication strategies. Knowledge of transportation planning/urban design tools and approaches, as well as experience reaching an international audience, are preferred.
Who We Are
The National Association of City Transportation Officials (NACTO) is a 501(c)(3) non-profit association of 81 major North American cities and transit agencies, formed to exchange transportation ideas, insights, and practices and cooperatively approach national transportation issues. Our mission is to build cities as places for people, with safe, sustainable, accessible, and equitable transportation choices that support a
strong economy and vibrant quality of life. The Global Designing Cities Initiative (GDCI) is a program of NACTO. Launched in 2014, GDCI’s mission is to inspire a shift toward safe, sustainable, and healthy cities through transforming streets. GDCI’s work is informed by the strategies and international best practices captured in the Global Street Design Guide (GSDG) and the technical assistance provided to multiple international cities. The organization works with cities around the world to transform their streets through high-profile, rapid urban design projects, making them more accessible to people who walk, bike and take public transportation.
What You’ll Do
The Senior Communications Associate will play a critical role in building GDCI’s presence online by working on multiple project campaigns and developing systems and tools to reach key audiences. They will be a thought partner in shaping the GDCI story and developing a voice for the organization, and implementing a communications plan for GDCI at large, with a special emphasis on energizing our digital platforms. Based in New York City, the Senior Communications Associate will be responsible for the following:
Programmatic Communication Strategies: Work across the team to deliver effective and high-impact communications strategies, plans, and activities, including:
- Support the programmatic team in fulfilling communication obligations and deliverables of funder agreements
- Quality check programmatic communications for consistent messaging and alignment with GDCI quality standards
- Increase awareness of GDCI programmatic activities
- Prepare program staff for the writing and editing of materials for distribution, including press releases, blogs, reports, event presentations, etc.
- Coordinate with the NACTO Communications team and with international and other partners
Energize and Manage GDCI’s Online Presence: Work with the Associate Director of Operations to roll out a comprehensive communications plan for GDCI’s online platforms:
- Generate online content that targets, engages, and builds audience segments
- Manage GDCI’s social media and make recommendations for new formats and vehicles that will create greater momentum
- Share media with internal staff that is relevant to GDCI’s work and identify opportunities to include our content in internationally trending conversations
- Manage GDCI’s website to make sure content is up to date and website is operating
- Report regularly on the results of website, digital campaigns and social media activities, propose recommendations for ongoing improvement and optimization, and support with the implementation of agreed-upon changes
- Manage GDCI’s communication calendar and liaise with the NACTO team on strategy
Manage and Produce Editorial Content: Work with GDCI staff to provide writing and editing support for all communication materials, including:
- Review materials to ensure they are written and presented in a way that is consistent with GDCI’s quality, editorial and voice standards
- Regularly write and edit a variety of content types, including blog posts, newsletters, publications, proposals, reports, op-eds, and marketing materials
- Coordinate with the NACTO Communications team for approvals and timing of releases
- Create communication in collaboration with partner organizations as needed
- Proactively look for opportunities to showcase GDCI’s work in media
- Design or commission additional graphics, as needed
Who You Are
For this position, NACTO-GDCI is looking for a highly collaborative individual with exceptional project management and strategic communication skills. The Senior Communications Associate must be highly self-directed and comfortable working with a diverse international team that travels frequently.
The Senior Communications Associate role may require light travel. You should be passionate about street design, sustainable mobility, and the processes involved in shaping safe, healthy cities. To be successful in this job, you will excel in these areas:
● Connecting to a global audience online: You have experience either working on or leading a communications plan that involved a global reach. You have the ability to produce content that is easy to read and understand across multiple cultures, as well as build relationships on an
● Multi-tasker, deadline-driven, and detail-oriented: You are able to manage multiple projects and adjust deadlines with a positive, can-do attitude.
● Excellent verbal and written communication skills: You can write engaging blog posts, social media content, and newsletters that draw people in and clearly showcase a wide range of exciting work.
● Administrating a communications strategy: You can manage up, down, and horizontally to achieve a communications strategy that increases visibility and awareness.
● Self-motivated and able to work independently: You can work independently and make appropriate, timely decisions as needed to keep GDCI relevant and visible.
● Team player who is open to reaching out to different stakeholders to deliver on their role: You are comfortable working with a range of stakeholders (including city officials, funders, contractors, press, executive teams, staff, etc.) to ensure you hit deadlines.
How to Apply
● Attachments: Include a cover letter and resume detailing relevant work experience. Additional attachments demonstrating writing, digital content creation, communication skills, and/or
references are encouraged.
● Deadline: Applications accepted on a rolling basis—please don’t delay! Final deadline is January
● Email applications to: firstname.lastname@example.org
● Email subject line: Senior Communications Associate | Firstname_Lastname
● Work visas: We encourage international candidates to apply and are willing to support visas.
● Benefits: We offer competitive salaries, excellent benefits, and a passionate working environment. Salary is based on a nonprofit scale and commensurate with experience and skills.
Benefits include 18 vacation days, 2 personal days, and 13 holidays (federal and floating holidays) annually, along with sick leave. In addition, NACTO offers 12 weeks paid family leave after the first year of employment. Other benefits include an employer contribution to retirement after the first year of employment, excellent health, vision, and dental coverage, and pre-tax commuter benefits.
Thank you for your interest and we look forward to hearing from you!
Equal Opportunity Employment: NACTO is committed to workplace diversity and inclusion. We are equal opportunity employers and do not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, gender identity, marital status, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law