Senior Brand Manager, Forests and Climate Change
Date Posted: 06/22/2022
Senior Brand Manager, Forests and Climate Change
About American Forests
America and the world have reached a tipping point. Climate change is destroying and burning our most treasured forested landscapes while turning our cities into ovens, aided by lack of trees and the urban heat island effect. Climate impacts are hitting our most vulnerable communities the hardest, worsening already searing inequities along income and racial lines. The natural assets provided by our forests are being diminished, from supplying clean drinking water and habitats for fish and wildlife, to flood protection, to delivering key physical and mental benefits for communities.
This is why on the brink of its 150th Anniversary, American Forests (“AF”) is entering a new, more critical era, one in which we are laser-focused on meeting two most pressing imperatives of this moment–slowing climate change and advancing social and racial equity—with forests and trees at the center. In a time when green spaces have proven their value for people and the planet, our movement has taken flight, which is why we are aiming for a number of bold new goals by 2030 – from reforesting 20 million acres of public land to supporting 100 cities in achieving “tree equity” in their highest-need neighborhoods to helping 100,000 people from our most marginalized communities thrive in the “green jobs” sector.
About AF’s Resilient Forests work and this Role
AF’s Resilient Forests initiative focuses on restoring forest health across the United States, Canada and Mexico. We focus on helping forests adapt to stressors that climate change is making more severe and more frequent. These include extreme wildfire, deep droughts and outbreaks of pests and disease. By creating healthy forests, American Forests also helps to combat the climate crisis. Trees capture carbon pollution from the atmosphere and lock it safely away in their wood. The soil captures carbon too. The trees and soil, combined, make forests the most effective nature-based solution to climate change, with AF leading the way in positioning forests as critical to a global climate solution. To this end, AF has planted more than 65 million trees in the last 30 years alone. As part of the Trillion Trees movement, we’ve pledged to plant 100 million more trees in large forest landscapes by 2030. Learn more here: www.americanforests.org/our-programs/resilient-forests
AF now seeks a strategist to lead the development and implementation of all communications and brand activities for Resilient Forests, an American Forests initiative that focuses on restoring and maintaining forests in large, rural landscapes. The strategies that our new Senior Brand Manager – Forests and Climate Change will design and implement will help AF reach its programmatic, marketing and fundraising goals, alongside AF’s Forest Restoration, Policy & Advocacy, and Philanthropy teams. The Senior Brand Manager will be a critical team member who will serve as a “small business owner” of our Resilient Forests communications strategies. This person is 25% visionary and 75% in the day-to-day but always seeing around the corner for new opportunities to elevate AF’s leadership in the forest restoration and climate change movements as well as take advantage of events, new initiatives, partnerships, grants and other opportunities with the purpose of connecting with target audiences, increasing support and furthering our and our partners’ work around building resilient forests. We are looking for an individual that is equal parts proactive, creative and analytic. S/he should have the ability to strategize around acquiring new audiences, tell stories in an interesting and creative way, dig into data and technical research to unearth the best statistics and manage up and across the organization to share information, spot trends in forest conservation and restoration and climate science, identify and engage validators, partners and funders, and help connect these dots across AF’s whole enterprise.
- Serve as a key expert Marketing and Communications resource to around AF’s work on forest restoration, climate science, and land conservation. The Senior Brand Manager will ensure all communication plans and tactics are well informed, data-driven and connected to larger organizational goals and priorities.
- Ability to “see around the corner” and have a clear understanding of the technical side of our Resilient Forests work, including understanding audience opportunity and gathering insights to inform short and long term marketing plans and campaigns to promote and engage actors around .
- Develop and execute a brand strategy for the Resilient Forests program and communications strategies related to AF’s specific products and tools in our rural forestry practices, including our Reforestation Hub, our forest carbon research and various campaigns to engage influencers, political leaders and mayors, and advocacy groups around climate change and forest conservation.
- Ensure a consistent and high-quality look and feel for AF’s Resilient Forests brand across a variety of internal and external channels including owned and earned, digital and physical
- Maintain subject matter expertise on the latest urban forestry, climate change, and social justice science, research and policy; stay informed on the environmental justice zeitgeist
- Represent the Resilient Forests initiative at events and conferences; in partnership with the VP of Marketing and Communications, help prepare American Forests’ CEO and other AF leaders for events and interviews and other public appearances related to our Resilient Forests work.
- Build relationships with AF’s senior leadership and regional staff to develop a clear understanding of program activities and optimize communication strategies; communicate program results and key trends to AF’s executive-level and management teams and external partners in the form of reports, presentations, briefings, road shows, and the like.
- Hire, train, manage, and develop cross-disciplinary teams, beginning with one project manager, to define and activate all key components of brand integration; hire and manage consultants and agencies as needed.
- Form and manage new strategic external partnerships, including with private corporations, peer organizations, media outlets, influencers and thought leaders, government agencies and officials
- Design and execute crisis management strategies, as needed; track and manage Tree Equity communications budget, as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree and 6 – 8 years of demonstrated success in conceptualizing, developing and implementing communications strategies.
- Direct experience working in communications at a conservation or environmental organization
- Proven interest and expertise on latest climate science, forestry, and conservation research and policies; interest or background in environmental justice also a major plus.
- Demonstrated excellent interpersonal and teamwork skills, including in managing and developing staff
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills, as well as organizational and project management skills
- Strong creative thinker and proactive problem solver
American Forests is an equal opportunity employer.
This position will initially be remote, with later possibilities for working in American Forests’ Washington, DC office. Occasional travel to American Forests projects and events will be required.
To apply for this position, please send a cover letter, resume, and two communications campaigns/projects to email@example.com.