Date Posted: 6/9/21
Accelerate Change is a nonprofit (c3/c4) media lab dedicated to catalyzing new scalable and sustainable digital media models for citizen engagement. We are particularly focused on developing new digital media models that engage communities of color and low-income communities, as well as models that bring together diverse citizens across class and race. We focus on media ventures that are driving social change through news, education, and action.
Accelerate Change uses lean startup methodologies and other business strategies to help start-up nonprofit ventures and established organizations scale their digital media relationships and revenue. Here’s some more information on those strategies:
- Functional Organizing: Our model is based on the idea that membership organizations can experience explosive, financially sustainable growth when they provide a robust set of benefits and services that have an outstanding value to the people they seek to organize (“functional organizing”). Learn more about our model for scalable citizen organizing in the article, “The Secret of Scale” from the Stanford Social Innovation Review.
- Lean startup methodologies: Our approach is centered on identifying challenges and unmet needs in people’s lives. We use lean startup methodologies to rigorously test ideas for services and benefits that could help address those pain points and provide real value in people’s everyday lives. Read more about our approach to experimentation in the article, “The Promise of Lean Experimentation” from the Stanford Social Innovation Review.
Accelerate Change supports some of the fastest growing nonprofit digital media ventures in the country, with a particular focus on communities of color. We also work with a select group of established nonprofit organizations to experiment with new digital media initiatives. Our partners include:
- PushBlack, the nation’s largest nonprofit media platform for Black people, reaches over 8 million Black Americans each month with Black news, history, and culture stories.
- Noticias Para Inmigrantes, a nonprofit news and education program for immigrants, provides bi-lingual news and information that empowers 1 million immigrants to navigate life in America.
- Pulso, a national nonprofit media organization focused on Latinx communities, reaches over 2 million Latinx Americans each month with culturally relevant news and information.
- ParentsTogether, a national, parent-led nonprofit media organization, helps over 2 million subscribers stay up to date on the issues affecting their families.
- La Alianza, a digital news service for immigrants and domestic workers created by the National Domestic Workers Alliance, provides Spanish-language stories to hundreds of thousands of subscribers.
Accelerate Change’s team of 14 central staff and 31 venture staff bring a diverse mix of tech, business, organizing, and media backgrounds that contribute to identifying solutions and developing new media and citizen engagement models.
About the Position
Accelerate Change is seeking a part-time, remote scriptwriter to create original scripts for a podcast and video project focused on Black history. The scriptwriter will work with our team of producers and experimenters to support lean experimentation in the development of video and audio content for the project.
Here’s what you could expect to do as a Scriptwriter (Freelance):
- Develop scripts for videos and podcasts—ranging from short clips and trailers to hour-long productions—that are true to the voice of our partner
- Brainstorm and ideate with us to come up with script ideas and directions
- Create multiple versions of scripts to support our content experimentation
- Take scripts from conception to finished product with our guidance, understanding there may be multiple rounds of edits
- Work with podcast and video producers, tailoring your writing to fit the needs of both mediums
- Commit to (and communicate effectively regarding) writing deadlines with the understanding that output may vary week-to-week
What We’re Looking For
- Commitment to social justice. Accelerate Change is a mission-driven organization focused on progressive social change and social justice, with a focus on communities of color. You have a demonstrated commitment to this work and you’d like to be part of a team of people who do, too.
- Scriptwriting experience for audio and video productions. You’ve previously developed scripts for both long- and short-form video and/or audio content, with specific experience in the subject areas mentioned above.
- Strong virtual communication. You have availability to communicate with our staff as needed via email and Slack and participate in pre-arranged phone or video meetings each week (Monday through Friday, during normal business hours).
Compensation and Commitment
This is a part-time, 3-month contract role with the potential to renew. The compensation range is $40 – $50 per hour, depending on experience. The number of hours per week will vary, but we estimate roughly 10-20 hours per week.
To apply, please upload your resume and tell us more about your experience using this application form: https://bit.ly/2RwlIAt.
Accelerate Change is an equal opportunity employer. We believe that people of color, people from working class backgrounds, women, and LGBTQIA+ people must be centered in the work we do. Hence, we strongly encourage applications from people with these identities or who are members of other marginalized communities.