Press & Digital Assistant
Date Posted: 11/16/2022
Accountable.US is a watchdog organization that shines a light on the corrupting influence of powerful corporations and special interests on policymaking. We use investigative research to expose this impropriety and communicate our findings to the public and to appropriate regulatory and legislative bodies to effect change. Our advocacy helps pave the way for progressive policies that advance the interests of all Americans, especially those in marginalized communities.
If you’re looking for a growing, fast-paced organization that invests in its people and strives to create more equitable and inclusive communities, then Accountable.US could be the place for you. We offer competitive salaries, exceptional benefits, and we encourage a healthy work/life balance for our staff.
Are you passionate about harnessing the power of traditional and social media for good? Are you an extremely organized communicator and an excellent writer who enjoys the fast-paced nature of campaign work? Are you passionate about protecting democracy and taking your communications career to the next level? Accountable.US seeks a Press and Digital Assistant to support its work to hold corporations and special interests accountable and undermine those who wish to do harm to our democracy. The Press and Digital Associate will assist our Democracy teams with rapid response, media relations, and promotion of our hard-hitting research on social media.
Essential Responsibilities and Tasks
- Co-draft, copy edit and distribute press releases, mass emails, op-eds, blog posts, memos, and other materials as needed;
- Build and maintain press lists (to include social profiles);
- Help book Accountable.US spokespeople on television and radio programs;
- Work with the Accountable.US digital team to produce and distribute engaging content on social media;
- Post materials online and update websites;
- Co-produce detailed weekly reports of project activities and communications;
- Participate and take notes on important meetings and conference calls; and
- Perform other administrative duties as required.
Preferred Experience, Knowledge, Skills and Ability
- Minimum experience of 1-2 years in communications, public relations, or advocacy;
- Familiarity and aptitude with press and using social media as an earned media tool;
- Issue advocacy and strategic experience preferred;
- Basic understanding of a democracy and voting rights issues preferred;
- Excellent writing skills; writing should be concise, sharp, and memorable;
- Detail-oriented with an ability to work independently and juggle competing priorities and strict deadlines;
- Calm in a crisis, with great instincts;
- Basic graphic design and website development skills a plus, but not required; and
- Demonstrates an interest and ongoing commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Compensation & Benefits
The salary range for this position is $50,000 – $60,000. Exact compensation package is commensurate with experience. Our excellent benefits package includes health insurance, dental insurance, vision insurance, short and long-term disability, a 401(k) match, generous paid time off, professional development opportunities, and more. During the pandemic, all Accountable.US employees are working remotely. Some weekend work may be required.
Accountable.US is committed to attracting, developing and retaining exceptional people, and to creating a work environment that is dynamic, rewarding and enables each of us to realize our potential. Our work environment is safe and open to all employees and partners, respecting the full spectrum of race, color, religious creed, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, political affiliation, ancestry, age, disability, genetic information, veteran status, and all other classifications protected by law in the locality and/or state in which you are working.
A Note to BIPOC Candidates: Studies have shown that women, nonbinary folks, and People of Color are less likely to apply for jobs unless they believe they meet every single one of the qualifications as described in a job description. We are committed to building a diverse and inclusive organization and we are most interested in finding the best candidate for the job. That candidate may be one who comes from a background less traditional to our field of work, and that’s okay. We would strongly encourage you to apply, even if you don’t believe you meet every one of the qualifications described.