National Director, Digital Strategies
Compassion and Choices
Date Posted: 09/23/2022
The National Director, Digital Strategies, will oversee the vision, strategy, development, and ongoing evolution of the website and digital channels, products, and services to increase brand image and drive deeper donor insights, acquisition, retention, and growth.
They will oversee operations in the rapidly changing digital sectors, like mobile applications and digital fundraising, as well as web-based information management and marketing. They will lead a digital team and vendors dedicated to sharing best practices, testing, and the latest technology; integrating and pivoting quickly to new digital processes, tools, and approaches, and increasing training to drive the adoption of existing tools and platforms.
The National Director, Digital Strategies, will also be responsible for enhancing C&C’s digital infrastructure to support strategic objectives in support of engagement and mobilization, advocacy, fundraising, and seamlessly integrating digital marketing into each of the organization’s platforms.
The core responsibilities of the National Director, Digital Strategies include, but are not limited to, the following:
STRATEGIST AND TECHNICAL EXPERT
- Serve as the top digital communications position in the organization, providing leadership, vision, and direction for web-based and digital strategic activities that cross all C&C business lines:
- web design and development
- campaign advocacy, marketing, advertising, and online community building
- digital fundraising (acquisition, email, and advertising); and social media (Facebook, Twitter)
- Collaborate and assess innovative tools, methodologies, and approaches to help drive results, increase acquisition, donors, and overall website users to move C&C into the leading edge in online communications and marketing
- Connect digital investments to organizational KPIs to achieve positive digital transformation
- Oversee the day-to-day change management activities on CompassionAndChoices.org, internal databases and sites, and organizational social media platforms, ensuring communications products are respectful, culturally competent, and inclusive
- Provide digital direction for C&C’s sister organization and lobbying entity, the C&C Action Network
- Serve as the organizational liaison and direct the positioning of the C&C Learning Management System
WEB DESIGN AND DEVELOPMENT
- Lead the requirements, functionality, design, code, and modifications for the website, from layout to function and according to approved quality control and quality assurance requirements
- Ensure best practices in mobile-first website design, including user experience, instructional design, content strategy, and information architecture
- Develop, manage, and direct Search Engine Optimization for the organization’s web properties to achieve top rankings for key search terms; use Google Analytics and other monitoring applications to provide performance metrics and reports about web usage and management
- Lead the integration of digital platforms, and oversee the building of new platforms as needed
- Coordinate and monitor marketing funnel activities that involve domain management, design, and digital marketing programs such as paid search, organic optimization (SEO), content/blog implementation, and reference links
- DIGITAL FUNDRAISING
- In collaboration with the development department, lead online fundraising, including the growth, cultivation, and retention of C&C’s online supporter base
- Use analytics to inform decision-making regarding messaging, topics and content to drive fundraising, as well as striking the balance between fundraising and advocacy asks in emails and social media
- Raise the visibility of C&C online, positioning the organization as the go-to end-of-life choices advocacy organization
- Oversee the development of digital advocacy campaigns that drive our supporters to influence elected officials, health systems, volunteerism, and increase their own personal advocacy
- Lead the development of performance targets across all campaigns and establish clear value reporting for C&C stakeholders
- Develop contracts and manage the day-to-day work of outside vendors and consultants, as needed
- Partner with the communications team to ensure consistency of content across print and online channels
SOCIAL MEDIA ENGAGEMENT
- Develop, implement, manage, and analyze new and alternative social media strategies and use creative, cutting-edge practices to increase visibility and traffic
- Conduct competitive research/analysis to determine needs for new areas of expansion, meeting with C&C cross-teams to further online goals
- Monitor other advocacy organizations and competitors, and continually recommend and implement improvements as needed
- Develop and manage department budgets and metrics
- Provide leadership and management for the digital staff, including coaching, development, support, work prioritization, performance management, morale, retention, and recruiting of top talent
- Demonstrate commitment to and active support of C&C’s Diversity & Inclusion program
- Serve as the team liaison for the digital communications team, working with a management team that is responsible for planning, integrating, and prioritizing work across the organization
- Proactively identify and solve cross-team issues (e.g. review protocol, workload volume, priorities, implementing cross-team initiatives)
- Discuss lessons learned from projects, seek ways to improve systems and processes, and implement best practices to improve the day-to-day management of the work
Must be energized by the idea of working at an organization with the following values:
- Compassionate in Compassion & Choice’s conviction that dying patients should be free of unwanted treatment, suffering, or outside interference.
- Respectful of the autonomy of individuals to decide what end-of-life options are best for them and their families.
- Courageous in Compassion & Choice’s willingness to confront the toughest end-of-life health challenges, disrupt the broken status quo, and protect an individual’s right to self-determination.
- Credible in all Compassion & Choice’s education, advocacy, and partnerships – C&C’s efforts are grounded in objective research and demonstrable factors.
- Resilient in Compassion & Choice’s capacity to respond to opportunities and threats in the movement so that C&C can achieve its vision as quickly as possible
While it is understood that no candidate will offer every desired skill and characteristic, the following offers a detailed, aspirational view of the ideal candidate profile.
- Able to collaborate effectively with all business lines, while providing thought leadership and strong direction to teams
- Strong expertise in online fundraising including experiencing raising a minimum of $1 million dollars annually with consistent growth year after year
- Complete knowledge of all aspects of cloud-based marketing technology platforms, Digital Media, Search, SEO, SMM, Mobile, etc.
- Experience managing a digital team at a C3/C4 organization with combined revenues greater than $20 million dollars annually is highly desirable
- Expertise in leading and managing a team, including motivating and inspiring employees, developing standard operating procedures, and providing quality control and consistency across work
- A history of driving digital strategies that engage audiences, increase acquisition and drive donations. Proven success developing a cross-channel strategy with specific examples of driving operational excellence across marketing, sales, and customer service
- Experience in building innovative, proactive, high-impact digital channels; utilizing all relevant channels, and aligning strategies with business goals to drive engagement
- Knowledge of communications research and planning, such as content audits, focus groups, environmental scans, communications strategy, and plan development.
- Bachelor’s degree in a related program (e.g.: Technology, Marketing, Communications, Political Science, Journalism) or equivalent work experience, or a combination of formal and informal education
- Knowledge of WordPress content management system and its associated properties, and ability to leverage plugins and other add-ons to enhance user experience and business goals
Note that the Senior Director will have regular travel obligations. We expect they will travel 15% of the time, with overnight and weekends possible.
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS
Comensation for this role begins at $120,000.
Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience.
Koya Partners, the executive search firm that specializes in mission- driven search, has been exclusively retained for this engagement. Molly Brennan, Turner Delano, and Chris Mora of Koya Partners have been exclusively retained for this search. To express interest in this role please submit your materials here:
All inquiries and discussions will be considered strictly confidential.
Koya Partners is committed to providing reasonable accommodation to individuals living with disabilities. If you are a qualified individual living with a disability and need assistance expressing interest online, please email NonprofitSearchOps@divsearch.
Compassion and Choices is an equal opportunity employer and strongly encourages applications from people of color, persons with disabilities, women, and LGBTQ+ applicants.