Media Relations Coordinator
Flexible on the east coast
Date Posted: 7/21/21
Salary Range: Up to $50,000.00 Annually
Under the supervision of Child Trends’ senior media relations manager, the media relations coordinator is responsible for creating social and digital media content that accurately reflects Child Trends research and the policy context that the organization operates in. The coordinator will work with the senior manager to craft and implement communications strategies for the organization’s widely used dissemination vehicles, including Child Trends social media accounts and e-newsletters. Additionally, the coordinator will assist with traditional media outreach, using her/his/their knowledge of current events and the news to inform their work.
Duties and Responsibilities
Social and digital media outreach (65%)
- Draft social media and e-newsletter language for products, ensuring that content is accurate, meets researcher and client needs, and adheres to the organization’s style guide and equity guidelines.
- Review and respond to social media analytics, adjusting strategies where needed to increase Child Trends’ social media presence and strategic impact.
- Review social media and e-news language for government centers led by Child Trends to ensure compliance with Child Trends style guide and equity guidelines.
- Assist the senior media relations manager with developing social media and e-news strategies for Child Trends-led centers, partners, and other project efforts, with an eye toward advancing overall Child Trends communications goals.
- Work with the senior media relations manager to develop and implement long-term goals and strategies for Child Trend’s Twitter, Facebook, and LinkedIn accounts.
- Lead the day-to-day presence of the Early Childhood Data Collaborative (run by Child Trends) on Twitter.
Traditional media outreach (20%)
- Create and maintain media lists in earned media management software (i.e., Cision).
- Load blogs, press notes, and press releases into Cision.
- Assist the senior media relations manager by scheduling press interviews.
- Track organizational media mentions.
- Track news coverage of and policy debates around relevant issue areas; incorporate knowledge into daily work.
Departmental support (15%)
- Provide departmental administrative support, such as tracking product timelines and updating the department’s product release calendar.
- Submit purchase orders for social and traditional media services.
- Provide copy editing, as needed.
- 1-2 years of communications experience at a research institution, nonprofit organization, association, or government entity.
- B.A. or B.S. degree with evidence of academic excellence.
- Proven social media expertise: Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn.
- Superb written communications skills, and the ability to understand complex research and translate it to accurate plain language for a general audience.
- Interest in and knowledge of current events and the ability to apply that knowledge to Child Trends’ and clients’ expertise and interests.
- Excellent project management skills, with the ability to manage multiple projects under quick and changing deadlines.
- Experience with earned media software (i.e., Cision) and social media management tools (i.e., Buffer).
- Knowledge of/experience in the child and youth field, and/or social or other sciences, a plus.
How to Apply:
Please follow the “apply” link to submit your application. When asked by the system to upload resume, please upload that includes and . Materials must be combined into one document in order to be uploaded. If you have any difficulties with this process please email the requested materials to recruitment (at) childtrends.org and make sure to reference the position in the subject line. No phone calls please!
Child Trends, founded in 1979, is a nonprofit, nonpartisan research organization dedicated to improving the lives of children by conducting research and providing science-based information to improve the decisions, programs, and policies that affect children. With annual revenue of $23 million and 192 employees, our clients include federal, state and local government agencies, foundations, and service providers. Our headquarters is located in Bethesda, Maryland, with offices in Minneapolis and Chapel Hill, North Carolina. In 2018, we were recognized as a Great Place to Work for Women, Best Workplace in Consulting & Professional Services and Best Small & Medium Workplace.
Child Trends is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. Protected veterans and individuals with disability encouraged to apply.