Date Posted: 11/16/2022
Accountable.US is a watchdog organization that shines a light on the corrupting influence of powerful corporations and special interests on policymaking. We use investigative research to expose this impropriety and communicate our findings to the public and to appropriate regulatory and legislative bodies to effect change. Our advocacy helps pave the way for progressive policies that advance the interests of all Americans, especially those in marginalized communities.
If you’re looking for a growing, fast-paced organization that invests in its people and strives to create more equitable and inclusive communities, then Accountable.US could be the place for you. We offer competitive salaries, exceptional benefits, and we encourage a healthy work/life balance for our staff.
Are you a news junkie with progressive values? Do you enjoy summarizing and condensing complicated issues into more digestible forms? Accountable.US seeks a Media Monitor to monitor and track press, briefings, and events relevant to Accountable.US’s numerous projects and issue areas.
Essential Responsibilities and Tasks
- Monitor and flag relevant stories and storylines in traditional (TV, radio, and print) media and social media channels for issues of importance to Accountable.US;
- Search for, catalog, calendar, and share key takeaways and findings from events with staff;
- Develop recommendations for rapid response next steps on (such as press response, additional research, additional monitoring);
- Create digital weekly and one-off reporting, as needed;
- Assist with development and production of digital and other media products, as needed
- Conduct news, internet, and database searches to draft press products;
- Monitor all relevant committee hearings, press briefings, and events on issues important to Accountable.US and disseminate transcripts in real time;
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Required Experience, Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- 1-2 years of experience in research or related field. This could include media monitoring, political advocacy, campaign or public policy research, and/or experience on Capitol Hill or in government (including internships);
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills;
- Sound judgment and discerning eye;
- Ability to work independently and juggle competing priorities and strict deadlines;
- Proven track record for being a self-starter;
- Impeccable attention to detail;
- Commitment to progressive values; and
- Demonstrates an interest and ongoing commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Compensation & Benefits
The salary range for this position is $50,000 – $60,000. Exact compensation package is commensurate with experience. Our excellent benefits package includes health insurance, dental insurance, vision insurance, short and long-term disability, a 401(k) match, generous paid time off, professional development opportunities, and more. During the pandemic, all Accountable.US employees are working remotely. Some weekend work may be required.
Accountable.US is committed to attracting, developing and retaining exceptional people, and to creating a work environment that is dynamic, rewarding and enables each of us to realize our potential. Our work environment is safe and open to all employees and partners, respecting the full spectrum of race, color, religious creed, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, political affiliation, ancestry, age, disability, genetic information, veteran status, and all other classifications protected by law in the locality and/or state in which you are working.
A Note to BIPOC Candidates: Studies have shown that women, nonbinary folks, and People of Color are less likely to apply for jobs unless they believe they meet every single one of the qualifications as described in a job description. We are committed to building a diverse and inclusive organization and we are most interested in finding the best candidate for the job. That candidate may be one who comes from a background less traditional to our field of work, and that’s okay. We would strongly encourage you to apply, even if you don’t believe you meet every one of the qualifications described.