Manager of Community and Communications
Date Posted: 9/9/32
EmbraceRace supports parents, guardians, educators, and other caregivers working to raise children who are thoughtful, informed and brave about race so that multiracial democracy in the United States can thrive. We identify, organize, and create the tools, resources, discussion spaces, and networks needed to nurture resilience in children of color; nurture inclusive, empathetic children of all stripes; raise kids who think critically about race; and support a movement of kid and adult racial justice advocates for all children. Five years after our founding in 2016, EmbraceRace is well-established as a national leader in the space of children’s racial learning and socialization.
EmbraceRace is also at an exciting inflection point. In the year-plus since George Floyd’s murder, we have seen an influx of newly-urgent calls for partnership from the nonprofit, philanthropic, and corporate sectors; rapid growth in the size of our community; and rising calls from community members for even more information and guidance. We have responded vigorously, but know there is much, much more we can do. We are determined to capitalize on our new levels of visibility and community engagement by greatly expanding the reach of our programs and launching powerful new tools, resources, and communities for parents, educators and other adults in the years ahead. The Manager of Community and Communications will play a crucial role in forging that path.
EmbraceRace is fiscally sponsored by the Proteus Fund, which partners with foundations, advocates, and individual donors to advance democracy, human rights, and peace.
The Manager of Community and Communications will be the lead architect of our efforts to deepen engagement and build cross-racial community on our platforms (community engagement) and bring our work and brand to larger audiences (communications). The leader we’re looking for has real passion for our mission and genuinely enjoys connecting with people, connecting people to each other, and using a range of social media and other communications
tools to do so. The Manager of Community and Communications will be an ambassador for our vision and work to audiences that include parents, educators, journalists, researchers, and corporate partners. The position is a new one at EmbraceRace.
This is a full-time (40 hour per week) position. The person who occupies the position can live anywhere in the United States.
Key Responsibilities: Community Engagement
- Lead the development and execution of a multi-year community engagement plan. The plan will incorporate current and emerging technology platforms to enhance outreach and user participation.
- Collaborate with program staff and consultants to strengthen member engagement and deepen learning within our existing communities, including those dedicated to storytelling, early childhood, and our webinars.
- Curate content by participating actively on social media platforms, mediating interactions, and otherwise interacting with community members.
- Create engaging curricula and repurposing content for all platforms.
- Track and measure the level of engagement within our communities and the whole network.
Key Responsibilities: Communications
- Lead the development and execution of an annual communications plan to include use of donor and community communications tools such as the newsletter, emails, community surveys, project reports, and fundraising materials.
- Support efforts to cultivate new organizational partners and expand our email list, with particular attention to attracting larger BIPOC audiences.
- Keep and manage social media content calendar.
- Create and manage web site content in collaboration with colleagues.
- Manage media relations, including interview requests and proactive placements.
- Test and evaluate the effectiveness of communications activities.
The Manager of Community and Communications will work in partnership with our co-directors and staff to develop and successfully execute strategies and practices that build robust cross racial communities of learning and exchange at EmbraceRace, and extend the reach and benefits of our work to new audiences. The ideal candidate will have:
- At least two years’ experience as a community manager or similar role, including direct experience with social media management;
- At least one year of experience as a communications professional or similar role, including direct experience with social media management;
- Experience with Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn, Twitter, and YouTube;
- Experience creating engaging curricula and repurposing content for all platforms;
- The ability to work well independently and collaboratively in a virtual environment, and great time management skills;
- Amazing people skills – and a rocking sense of humor;
- Experience with video editing software and Canva;
- Excellent command of English and, preferably, Spanish; and,
- Commitment to the mission and values of a progressive social justice organization.
- The salary range for this position is $70,000 – $80,000 per year.
- Medical and dental benefits for employee and eligible dependents available on first day of work
- Retirement savings account (401k) with an organization contribution of 10% of annual salary
- Three weeks paid vacation in first year of work; four weeks in subsequent years
- Fifteen sick days per year
- Three personal days per year
- Twelve paid holidays
- Professional development initiatives for growth
- Paid Family Leave
Please submit a cover letter and resume by Friday, September 24, 2021 to email@example.com. Put “Manager of Community and Communications” in the subject line.
At EmbraceRace, we commit to building a team that reflects and celebrates differences in our personal identities, experiences, abilities, and skills. We believe that the more we embrace diversities in our people, the stronger our work will be.
Visit us at www.embracerace.org.