Manager, Digital Strategy
Johns Hopkins School of Advanced International Studies (SAIS)
Date Posted: 9/14/21
The Marketing & Communications Department at the Johns Hopkins School of Advanced International Studies (SAIS) in Washington, DC is seeking a Digital Strategy Manager (Communications Associate). Prospective students have hundreds of digital touch points from the time they begin searching for a graduate school, until they complete their degree. The Digital Strategy Manager will execute on all the intricate details that link those digital touchpoints in a variety of modern marketing campaigns stretching across multiple platforms and is responsible for digital marketing strategy, accompanying plans and key tactics.
The Digital Strategy Manager must have wide knowledge of and experience with digital and other content delivery platforms, and a creative yet methodical approach for reaching specific target markets by using different digital mediums. They will understand people, consumer behavior, demographics, and how various audiences interact with digital media. They closely follow trends related to how consumers are accessing information and understand how to apply those into integrated digital marketing campaigns and provide insights on emerging and new, digital opportunities.
They are deadline driven, organized, and detail obsessed. The individual will work well across teams to coordinate all the elements necessary for campaigns to function smoothly. This position is a member of the SAIS Marketing Communications team and reports to the Associate Director of Marketing and Communications, with a dotted reporting line to the Senior Director of Marketing, Communications and Community Engagement.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities:
- Lead the day-to-day creation and management of digital marketing plans for all academic degree programs by working with the broader marketing and communications department, and external vendors
- Create strong, compelling digital marketing campaigns from inception to execution for targeted degree/non-degree program audience groups and make recommendations on how digital channels can be used to integrate the prospective student journey
- Guides the day- to-day management of digital marketing campaigns across multiple platforms, including Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn and other sites, ensuring alignment across all SAIS social media platforms
- Manages all SAIS social media platforms by creating dynamic, engaging and creative content that aligns with institutional brand and overall messaging
- Lead digital marketing strategy for the Global Admissions and Recruitment, Academic Affairs and Global Careers units. Works closely with members of those teams to ensure effectiveness of digital strategy and alignment with broader marketing goals, ensure deadlines are being met and projects are staying on task
- Proactively identifies and recommends new marketing channel opportunities and makes recommendations to the Associate Director for Communications and Senior Director of Marketing, Communications and Community Engagement
- Works closely with Associate Director to create and optimize paid search campaigns, both digital and print advertising, including keyword research, quality score management and bidding optimization
- Fully understand competitive landscape, monitor, report and provide marketing insights; serve as liaison with external market research agency to stay abreast of latest trends in graduate education and leverage research and data to make recommendations for better reaching and engaging target audiences and prospects across various degree programs
- Lead engagement / relationship management strategies, leveraging direct marketing tools (e.g., email/Salesforce and other CRM tools) to drive results
- Utilize and optimize SEO/SEM, email campaigns, user experience, digital advertising, promotions, and social media, etc. to build brand/program awareness, generate leads and engagement with participants
- Works closely with SAIS webmaster to ensure optimization of website search experience across entire site but particularly within degree and certificate program pages and maintain regular contact with key external vendors
- Supports and builds landing pages in our content management system (Slate), manages conversion tests and optimizes the user experience
- Maintains and optimizes our CRM-based lead/nurture email and drip campaigns; sourcing images, aligning on character count, forms, etc.
- Analyze marketing plan and performance using KPI’s, ROI analysis and apply learning in new planning
- Other duties as they emerge in an ever-evolving digital marketing landscape
Minimum Qualifications (Mandatory):
- Bachelor’s Degree in related field required. Master’s degree preferred but not required
- Four years related experience required. 5-7 years’ experience and verifiable training in digital marketing, project management or related field strongly desired.
- Higher education digital marketing experience preferred but not required.
- Advanced degree may substitute for required experience, to the extent permitted by the JHU equivalency formula.
Special Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Dynamic, proactive and affable, thrives in a team environment and appreciates the differences others bring to the table
- Experience leading, developing and executing digital marketing campaigns across a wide range of digital channels (social media, email, SEO, website, SEM, etc.)
- Aptitude in web content development, multimedia tools, and in managing social media platforms
- Expertise in supporting content management system
- Demonstrated experience with online marketing tools (including CRM and email) and articulation of best practices
- Strong interpersonal communication skills: mature judgment, high ethical standards, willingness to learn and innovate, dependable
JHU Equivalency Formula: 30 undergraduate degree credits (semester hours) or 18 graduate degree credits may substitute for one year of experience. Additional related experience may substitute for the required education on the same basis. For jobs where equivalency is permitted, up to two years of non-related college course work may be applied towards the total minimum education/experience required for the respective job.
Classified Title: Communications Associate
Working Title: Manager, Digital Strategy
Starting Salary Range: Commensurate with experience
Employee group: Full Time
Schedule: M-F 37.5 hours
Exempt Status: Exempt
Location: District of Columbia
Department name: Marketing & Communications
Personnel area: SAIS
The successful candidate(s) for this position will be subject to a pre-employment background check.
If you are interested in applying for employment with The Johns Hopkins University and require special assistance or accommodation during any part of the pre-employment process, please contact the HR Business Services Office at email@example.com. For TTY users, call via Maryland Relay or dial 711.
Johns Hopkins has mandated COVID-19 and influenza vaccines, as applicable. Exceptions to the COVID and flu vaccine requirements may be provided to individuals for religious beliefs or medical reasons or because the individual is pregnant or attempting to become pregnant. Requests for an exception must be submitted to the JHU vaccination registry. For additional information, applicants for SOM positions should visit https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/coronavirus/covid-19-vaccine/ and all other JHU applicants should visit https://covidinfo.jhu.edu/health-safety/covid-vaccination-information/.
The following additional provisions may apply depending on which campus you will work. Your recruiter will advise accordingly.
The pre-employment physical for positions in clinical areas, laboratories, working with research subjects, or involving community contact requires documentation of immune status against Rubella (German measles), Rubeola (Measles), Mumps, Varicella (chickenpox), Hepatitis B and documentation of having received the Tdap (Tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis) vaccination. This may include documentation of having two (2) MMR vaccines; two (2) Varicella vaccines; or antibody status to these diseases from laboratory testing. Blood tests for immunities to these diseases are ordinarily included in the pre-employment physical exam except for those employees who provide results of blood tests or immunization documentation from their own health care providers. Any vaccinations required for these diseases will be given at no cost in our Occupational Health office.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Note: Job Postings are updated daily and remain online until filled.
EEO is the Law