New York, New York
Date Posted: 01/14/2020
The Marketing and Communications team at JUST Capital plays a pivotal role in helping to realize our mission of building a more just economy that works for all Americans. We’re a modest but mighty team working to build awareness, engagement, and action across key target audiences, including, primarily, corporate leaders, investors, and influencers.
We seek an experienced Editorial Director to help us build and refine the content engine for JUST Capital, increasing the cadence and quality, growing our audience, and expanding into more formats (video/animation, podcasts). Our ideal candidate has extensive expertise in creating content that engages, informs, and persuades, perhaps for a business or finance outlet like Fortune, Forbes, Fast Company, Business Insider, or WSJ, or has led content strategy and development for a nonprofit, think tank, or investor group. You’ll help build a stable of freelance contractors and also work closely with colleagues on programs, corporate engagement, polling, research, and technology teams, as well as our board and partners.
Our ideal candidate is a creative thinker, strategist, and doer with a passion for ethical leadership, employee well-being, environmental impact, community investment, and/or other issues of just business. You can translate and distill complex corporate, financial, market, or polling data into compelling, engaging content. You tell stories that resonate, that convince stakeholders that a new type of stakeholder capitalism is needed, and that we can craft it together with the right incentives, social norms, and corporate actions. The role reports to the Chief Marketing and Communications Officer.
- Define, lead, and execute a content strategy, including: articles, blog posts, op-eds, long-form reports, email/newsletter copy, video scripts, podcast interviews, etc.
- Recruit, manage, and supervise the work of other freelance writers.
- Work closely with internal teams and external writers to brainstorm content ideas for different target audiences, mine data, and develop editorial calendars to ensure regular content delivery cadence for various channels.
- Write and produce content, as well as review/edit the work of internal/external writers and content producers.
- Ensure that all pieces are meeting the expected goals, reflects our core mission/messaging, and maintains consistency with brand voice and style guide across all platforms and content.
- Work closely with digital to grow our audience and analyze performance data to evolve the content strategy based on what’s working.
- A commitment to and passion for the JUST Capital mission.
- At least 10 years of experience in journalism, content marketing, or brand storytelling.
- Subject matter expert: e.g. a business reporter, financial journalist, or communications professional in the corporate, CSR, ESG, impact investing space.
- Creative and clear communicator with exceptional written and verbal communication skills who can translate complex concepts and data insights into compelling content.
- Deep understanding of digital landscape, including best practices and what’s next.
- Proven project management, time management, and multi-tasking skills while maintaining excellent attention to detail.
- A positive, entrepreneurial attitude, strong interpersonal skills, and a passion to make an impact.
- Demonstrated experience as an effective team player, with the ability to work effectively as part of a positive, highly collaborative group that shares tasks and responsibilities.
Benefits and Work Environment
The compensation and benefits package at JUST Capital has been thoughtfully designed to ensure we model what we measure when it comes to just business behaviors. Benefits include:
- Fair, equitable, and competitive pay.
- Best-in-class health, vision and dental care benefits for you and your family including membership in One Medical Group for on-demand primary care and access to Health Advocate, the nation’s leading healthcare advocacy & assistance company.
- Respect for work-life-balance, including a flexible work from home policy.
- 20 personal time off days, as well as 14 holidays a year – and we encourage you to take them!
- Other paid time off when the office closes the last week of the year.
- Fully paid parental leave of up to 12 weeks and backup childcare.
- 401(k) retirement plan, with employer matching of 100% up to 4% of salary.
- Subsidized gym memberships, Citi Bike membership, and pre-tax commuter benefits.
JUST Capital is a small organization staff-wise and operates with a nimble, entrepreneurial mindset. As such, in addition to the above responsibilities, candidates should have professional work approaches, be self-starters, and possess well developed organizational skills honed to allow him/her to be effective and resourceful in a fast-paced workplace. Further, adaptability, good colleagueship, working with cross-functional teams to deliver projects on tight deadlines, and internal community building are important attributes of the JUST Capital culture.
About Just Capital
The mission of JUST Capital, an independent nonprofit, is to build an economy that works for all Americans by helping companies improve how they serve all their stakeholders – workers, customers, communities, the environment, and shareholders. We believe that business and markets can and must be a greater force for good, and that by shifting the resources of the $19 trillion private sector, we can address systemic issues at scale, including income inequality and lack of opportunity. Guided by the priorities of the public, our research, rankings, indexes, and data-driven tools help measure and improve corporate performance in the stakeholder economy. To learn more about how data-driven insights are creating a more just future for capitalism, visit: www.JUSTCapital.com.
Due to the pace of these searches, candidates are strongly encouraged to apply as soon as possible. Applications should include a thoughtful cover letter describing your interest in working for a nonprofit and this specific role and your qualifications along with your resume.
Submit your resume and cover letter to: https://justcapital.com/careers. Resumes without a cover letter will not be considered. Due to volume, only those candidates considered for an interview will be contacted.
JUST Capital is an Equal Opportunity Employer – people with disabilities are encouraged to apply