Editorial Assistant, Associate Editor, or Editor
New York (NY)/Remote
Date Posted: 11/23/21
Founded in 1941, Freedom House is an independent watchdog organization dedicated to the expansion of democracy around the globe. Our Research and Analysis division produces cutting-edge reports on the state of democratic institutions, media and internet freedom, and key tactics employed by modern authoritarians at home and abroad. By gathering authoritative data and leveraging our global networks, Freedom House serves as an unwavering beacon for the protection of human rights, especially of those most vulnerable, and the promotion of democratic governance.
Freedom House’s research portfolio includes its annual Freedom in the World and Freedom on the Net assessments of global democracy and digital freedom; Nations in Transit, an annual evaluation of democracy in the region stretching from Central Europe to Central Asia; the monthly China Media Bulletin digest, and special reports including Out of Sight, Not Out of Reach: Understanding Transnational Repression, a first-of-its-kind analysis of the global phenomenon of governments reaching across borders to silence dissent among diasporas and exiles; Democracy under Lockdown, a major report examining the threats to democracy posed by the COVID-19 pandemic; Election Watch for the Digital Age, an election monitor investigating the interplay between digital platforms and election integrity; and a forthcoming project on the global media influence of the Chinese Communist Party.
Candidates must submit a COVER LETTER AND RESUME in PDF format, to Taleo. Applicants who fail to meet these criteria will not be considered.
Freedom House’s Research and Analysis division in New York City is seeking a full-time Editorial Assistant, Associate Editor, or Editor (title contingent on experience) to perform substantive editing, fact-checking, proofreading, and more. They will join a small, supportive team working to ensure that Freedom House publications deliver accurate, objective, and compelling analysis on global threats to democracy, and advance the institution’s mission of protecting human rights and promoting democratic governance. This is a one-year fixed-term position with benefits.
- Bachelor’s degree; humanities/social science preferred
- Strong interest in democracy, human rights, and current affairs
- Ability to communicate clearly and efficiently
- Ability to meet tight deadlines and accommodate competing priorities
- Willingness to confront challenging text, and improve it without altering an author’s meanin
- Excellent research skills
- Experience using a style guide a plus
The successful candidate will possess:
- A knack for concise, clear, and eloquent writing
- An innate need for order and precision, and an intolerance of sloppiness
- Exceptional critical thinking skills
- Obvious intellectual curiosity; an urge to consume global news, including from places less frequently covered by US media, and to find personal and professional satisfaction in learning new things
- An appreciation of the power of language to inform, explain, enlighten, and debunk—as well as its potential to perpetuate bias, prejudice, and inaccuracies
- The skills of a determined, persistent researcher
- The ability to thrive doing individual work, and an appreciation for how that work supports Freedom House’s broader mission
Duties and Responsibilities
- Copy edit and proofread country reports and other content for grammar and style based on the Chicago Manual of Style and Freedom House style guide, in a timely fashion
- Fact-check country reports
- Conduct substantive editing and supplemental research according to each publication’s advocacy goals and methodology
- Ensure that all work products comply with standards, policies, and mission of Freedom House
- Related duties as necessary
- Candidates must submit a resume and a cover letter, in PDF format, to Taleo. Applicants who fail to meet these criteria will not be considered. There is no need to fill out the application system’s additional questions.
- Applications will be accepted through December 3.
- Salaries are commensurate with experience and are based on pay grades that prioritize equity across the organization. Editorial Assistant roles start at $44,000. Associate Editor positions start at $50,000. Editor positions start at $62,000.
- First-round candidates will be asked to complete a writing test. Selected candidates will advance to an interview stage.
- The writing test and interviews will take place in December 2021. The hired candidate is expected to begin at the start of 2022.
- Freedom House provides a strong benefits package, including flexible summer hours, floating holidays, high employer contributions to medical, dental, and vision premiums, basic and voluntary life and AD&D insurance, short- and long-term disability.
- Diversity makes our research stronger. The negative effects of rising authoritarianism disproportionately impact marginalized populations, including people of color, women, people with disabilities, members of religious minority groups, and the LGBT+ community. We actively seek and strongly encourage applications from people with lived experience relating to our work.
- Freedom House workplace culture emphasizes support, growth, and transparency. We value colleagues’ mental and physical well-being.
- New York–based staff have the option to work a few days per week in a coworking space located in downtown Manhattan, and may take advantage of periodic staff picnics and other informal gatherings. Staff also have the option to work 100 percent remotely.
This job description is only a summary of the typical functions of the job. It is not an exhaustive or comprehensive list of all possible job responsibilities, tasks, and duties. The responsibilities, tasks, and duties of the jobholder may differ from those outlined in the job description, and other duties, as assigned, may be part of the job. Freedom House may add, change, or remove essential and other duties at any time.
Diversity makes our work stronger. We actively seek a diverse applicant pool and encourage candidates of all backgrounds to apply.