Donor Communications Strategist
Patient Access Network (PAN) Foundation
Washington, (DC) OR remote (must be able to work East Coast business hours)
Date Posted: 4/30/21
The Patient Access Network (PAN) Foundation is an independent, national 501 (c)(3) organization dedicated to helping federally and commercially insured people living with life-threatening, chronic and rare diseases with the out-of-pocket costs for their prescribed medications. Partnering with generous donors, healthcare providers and pharmacies, PAN provides the underinsured population access to the healthcare treatments they need to best manage their conditions and focus on improving their quality of life. Since its founding in 2004, PAN has provided nearly 1 million underinsured patients with over $4 billion in financial assistance, through close to 70 disease-specific programs.
PAN is committed to recruiting a highly talented and diverse staff on the grounds of equal opportunity and non-discrimination. PAN offers a highly competitive benefits package, including medical, dental and vision coverage, a 401k with employer match, a flexible spending account, and more.
The PAN Foundation is looking for an experienced digital marketing and fundraising professional to develop and execute digital marketing strategies to acquire new individual donors and cultivate and retain our growing base of individual donors. This is an incredible opportunity to make an impact on a growing digital fundraising program at a national healthcare organization that helps thousands of people with serious illnesses access their medication and healthcare services every year. This position will help take the PAN Foundation’s individual giving program to the next level by directly collaborating with the Development and Marketing teams.
Duties and Responsibilities
Overall individual giving (20%)
Integrates annual individual giving program managed by external vendor into overall donor communications plan and strategy for each year.
- Serves as the marketing and communications ambassador for campaigns, briefing team on each campaign concept and providing ideas for further campaign integration into organizational marketing and communications strategy. Tracks all fundraising campaigns and email sends in a master editorial calendar.
- Collaborates with Individual Giving Manager and Vice President of Development as needed on annual individual giving program campaign themes, storytelling, and videos.
- Develops and executes marketing strategies to acquire new names and increase fundraising conversions on existing channels (i.e. website and social media).
- Develops and executes marketing strategies to increase awareness of new ways to give.
- Manages donor touchpoints (thank you emails, autoresponders) in Classy donation platform.
Monthly donors (30%)
Work with Vice President of Development, Manager of Individual Giving, and the Senior Director of Marketing and Communications to strategize, develop, launch, manage, and create content for a new monthly donor community to acquire and cultivate monthly donors.
- Collaborates with Development to plan strategy and structure of monthly giving program.
- Plays an integral role in building and launching monthly donor program, including assets such as monthly donor related webpages, messaging and appeals, fundraising forms, and visual aids. Creates and implements touchpoints such as thank you automation forms in Classy.
- Strategizes marketing campaign to attract new monthly donors, including writing compelling copy for and executes email marketing and other tactics. Run a/b tests and experiment with copy and segmentation to optimize campaigns.
- Plans, writes, and creates a newsletter and supporting content to build relationship and loyalty with monthly donors.
- Collaborate with Manager of Individual Giving to report on key metrics relating to the monthly donor community and makes recommendations on how to improve engagement and conversions.
Planned giving (20%)
- Craft an annual planned giving communications and marketing strategy in collaboration with the Vice President of Development and Manager of Individual Giving, including campaigns and touchpoints to increase awareness of planned giving and to acquire new planned gifts.
- Write persuasive copy for and implement 5-6 planned giving email campaigns per year, including identifying graphics or video needs, preparing layout, managing segmentation strategy and deploying emails. Manage any mail campaigns as needed.
- Run a/b tests and experiment with copy and segmentation to optimize campaigns.
- Collaborate with Manager of Individual Giving on planned giving reporting, including looking at engagement of emails. Integrate lessons learned from planned giving into annual strategy.
Peer-to-peer fundraising (15%)
- Collaborate with Development to monitor performance of P2P fundraising programs. As needed, plan for additional peer fundraising options.
- Develop and implement a marketing strategy to activate fundraisers, including writing persuasive copy, highlighting successful fundraisers, and more.
- Manage all landing pages, forms, and fundraiser touchpoints through Classy.
Optimizing, measuring, and reporting (10%)
- Analyze data from multiple sources including Google Analytics, Salesforce and Pardot to determine optimal digital communications strategy for each donor segment.
- Provide key metrics (engagement and conversion rates) as needed for individual giving reports.
- Suggest and execute regular plans to test and optimize email performance (a/b testing).
- Set marketing benchmarks and monitor performance across channels.
Other responsibilities (5%)
- Other responsibilities related to donor communications as assigned by the Vice President of Development or Senior Director of Marketing and Communications.
- Manage and optimize touchpoints of donor journeys in Classy and email marketing system, including email marketing segments, donor-related landing pages on panfoundation.org, sign-up forms, donation forms, auto-responders, and automation series.
Qualifications and Skills:
- 4-6 years of experience in digital marketing and/or direct response marketing and fundraising. Must have real-world experience in planning, managing, and executing digital campaigns from start to finish that drive gifts in charitable organizations.
- Must be an excellent copywriter with the ability to develop direct response messaging that converts a range of audiences, from family members of the patients we serve to new supporters unfamiliar with PAN’s mission.
- Deep understanding of fundraising, email, and digital marketing fundamentals and knowledge of how digital marketing and fundraising tactics complement each other.
- Must have a strong understand of how to segment email marketing and craft appeals based on numerous criteria, including giving history and stage of donor lifecycle. Experience with Pardot or another advanced email automation platform highly desired.
- Proven track record of implementing email marketing campaigns, inclusive of strategy development, list segmentation, A/B testing, experience with email service providers, CRM and website content management.
- Experience in interpreting marketing analytics and using data to set and inform strategy. Must have a working knowledge of Google Analytics and conversion tracking like UTM tagging.
- Commitment to staying up to date on the latest trends and best practices in digital fundraising and marketing.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills and strong attention to detail.
- Ability to work in a highly collaborative role, serving as an integral member of both the Marketing/Development teams.
- Bachelor’s degree.
Reports to: Reports to the Senior Director, Marketing & Communications, with a dotted line to the Vice President of Development.
Collaborates with: Collaborates closely with Manager of Individual Giving, Website Manager, and Social Media Strategist.
Team placement: Sits on the Marketing and Communications and Development teams.
How to apply:
Please submit your resume and cover letter, along with 2-3 examples of direct response fundraising appeals (bonus points if you can submit email marketing samples).
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law