Director, Strategic Communications and Marketing
Date Posted: 08/03/2022
TSNE (tsne.org) is working to build to a more just, equitable society of belonging. We do this by providing capacity building services, consulting and training services, and operational support to hundreds of nonprofits, foundations, community-based groups, and others working for social change. We are partners, neighbors, and friends working collaboratively in a broad lane that includes everything from building management services to finance and accounting to human resources. We live by our values as an organization, and are committed to identifying, including, and valuing the unique skills, perspectives and knowledge of each member of our team—and we’re looking for the right people to do this work with us!
About our Values:
- Promoting Social Justice – We support social change and we are not afraid to hold ourselves accountable, insisting on always doing better and leading not just with words, but actions.
- Increasing Diversity and Inclusivity– We are driven by equity and act with a sense of what’s just and right for the people and organizations with which we work.
- Valuing Each Individual As a Whole Person– We treat all people with respect and dignity, honoring individual differences and promoting a healthy life/work balance.
- Achieving Excellence in Service– We truly care about our clients, partners, and community, provide high quality service, and observe, listen, and pay thoughtful attention to the big and little things.
- Stewarding Our Resources Wisely to Achieve Greatest Impact– We unassumingly and confidently convey our extensive knowledge and expertise gleaned through many years of learning and doing.
The Director of Strategic Communications and Marketing (DSCM) has primary accountability for the creation and execution of digital and traditional communications, marketing, and public relations strategies through campaigns, events, and initiatives that continuously expand TSNE’s audience, enrich stakeholder experience, and inspire new levels of awareness of the scale and impact of TSNE’s mission. The DSCM is responsible for effectively allocating organization resources to maximize collaboration, efficiency, and creativity in the building and maintaining of consistent branding across all levels. The DSCM manages the strategy, production, execution, and measurement of all communications initiatives. The ideal candidate is a visionary and collaborative leader that brings exceptional communications and digital skills, partnership development, content production, marketing and narrative strategy together with creativity, innovation, and ease. The right candidate is equally comfortable with high-level strategy and translating it into implementation, while being focused on the details of managing multiple project deadlines and deliverables. As the lead member of the Communications and Marketing Team, this position supervises the Assistant Communications and Marketing Manager and works closely with the Chief Program and Impact Officer to develop, maintain, and implement a marketing and communications platform that is reflective of the organization’s brand strategy and vision. This includes creating and developing internal and external communication plans and materials and developing and managing communication campaigns.
Communications Strategies – 75%
- Infuse TSNE’s core values centering Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Belonging in all communication strategies.
- Manage all aspects of TSNE’s communications, including branding, advertising, special events, public relations, and media relations.
- Work closely and collaboratively with the Chief Program and Impact Officer to develop, evaluate, and enhance internal and external communications strategies, including creating a new marketing and communications plan in support of TSNE’s FY23-FY25 strategic plan.
- Lead the communications and marketing team in developing and ensuring the accuracy and effectiveness of press releases, op-eds, talking points, briefings, and updates for the CEO/senior leadership, board, media, the public, and other audiences.
- Collaborate with senior leadership and staff to facilitate effective cross-functional communications across TSNE’s programs.
- Ensure consistency of key messages and brand identity.
- Work with Assistant Communications and Marketing Manager to develop and produce high-value communications resources across multiple channels, including blog posts, presentations, infographics, and other materials as required.
- Lead sourcing and management of external resources (e.g., public relations firms, advertising and marketing agencies, photographers, printers, digital media experts, graphic designers, etc.) in support of communications and engagement strategies.
- Develop and monitor KPIs across networks; design processes and standards to monitor and analyze the effectiveness of specific communications efforts and initiate improvements as appropriate.
- Promote a positive relationship between internal and external clients.
- Provide events management and support, as needed.
Marketing Strategies – 25%
- In partnership with the Assistant Manager, conduct market research, competitive intelligence, and needs-assessment initiatives to guide events and brand development.
- Recommend and execute branding, messaging, and marketing asset usage.
- Collaborate with internal teams to ensure maximum ROI for marketing and collateral.
- Maintain media contact lists and relationships with targeted media.
- Design and execute media relations activities.
- Monitor external news media channels and report on key issues related to TSNE programs and services.
Complete other tasks and projects related to the position, as needed.
Many folks who are impacted by biased professionalism standards, such as women, LGBTQIA+, BIPOC, and individuals with disabilities, tend to only submit an application if they meet every requirement listed. At TSNE, we are always looking for enthusiastic candidates who are the best fit for the role, both culturally and through experience. If you believe you’d be a good addition to our team, we look forward to your application!
You are someone who has at least six years of experience in communications, marketing, public relations or development, and with a few years of demonstrated leadership in nonprofit communications. You thrive in a multicultural setting with people of diverse backgrounds, traditions, customs, and personalities, and are able to develop and promote culturally sensitive communications. You are committed and have the ability to support and promote diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging in all communications, both internally and externally. In previous roles, you have proven success in designing and implementing marketing and communications strategies, as well as developing creative collateral marketing and/or fundraising materials. Your experience working with the media and writing press releases is a plus, as is your experience utilizing creative visualization and design strategies. Your writing and editing skills are a huge value-add to lead the marketing and communications team.
You also believe in and embody our organizational values and the below core competencies:
- Communication – The ability to effectively exchange ideas, concepts, facts, and data with diverse audiences.
- High standard of integrity, ethics, and professionalism – The highest standards of integrity, ethical practices and professionalism are demonstrated in all aspects of work, including interactions with others, decision-making, and the development and delivery of work product. The ability to integrate core values, equity, integrity and accountability throughout all organizational practices.
- Relationship management – The ability to develop and nurture positive, productive relationships with others.
- Collaboration – The ability to collaborate vertically and horizontally throughout the organization and with others.
- Technologically and organizationally functional – Computer skills and demonstrates willingness to learn additional, specific platforms. Also understands and follows the policies and procedures applicable to all staff.
And a strong combination of the following qualifications:
- Soft Skills including exceptional discretion and judgment. Effective verbal and written communication skills with a wide audience. Ability to build productive and successful range of relationships and effectively serve in roles ranging from trusted advisor, teammate, subject matter expert and to coach.
- Demonstrate cultural awareness and some understanding of fostering an inclusive, culturally sensitive, environment. Willing to ask questions, learn, and constructively share and accept feedback. Must be adaptable to a range of audiences and dynamics.
- Just do good work by providing high quality work in fast-paced environment. Strong analytical skills are necessary. Must be flexible and able to manage multiple changing priorities and projects, and be organized and detail oriented. Provide excellent customer service by being on-time and accurate.
Physical Demands/Work Environment
The physical demands described for this position are that of a typical office environment. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the functions. Ability to sit and/or stand for extended periods of time in front of a computer screen is an essential aspect of the position. There may be a need to lift and/or move materials or equipment.
Location:Work will be performed between our office located at the NonProfit Center at 89 South Street, Suite 700, Boston, MA 02111 and your home office. This position is required to be on-site at least one time per month.
Schedule: This position is full-time at 37.5 hours per week and hours are flexible within reason.
Regarding COVID-19: TSNE considers the health and safety of our employees of the utmost importance, and due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, and subject to your state and local laws, our policy requires that all employees performing in-person work at a TSNE designated office are fully vaccinated. For the purpose of this policy, fully vaccinated indicates that you have received a single dose of the Janssen vaccine, or both doses of the Moderna or Pfizer vaccine. Certain exemptions may be requested and will be considered by Human Resources.
Compensation and Benefits
Compensation:The starting salary for this position is $110,000.00 and is commensurate with experience.
Benefits: This position is eligible for a full benefits package including:
- Generous Paid-Time-Off (PTO): twelve paid holidays, three weeks of vacation, one week of personal holiday, and up to 487.5 hours of accrued sick time for benefited staff annually.
- 80% Employer-paid, $0 deductible Health Insurance through Harvard Pilgrim.
- Low-cost MetLife Dental and Vision.
- Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA) for Health and Dependent Care.
- Employer-paid Life, Long- and Short-Term Disability Insurance.
- Employer-paid Pension and Employee-paid Tax-Deffered Annuity through TIAA.
- Up to $90.00 monthly commuter subsidy.
- No meetings after noon on Fridays.
- …and more!
TSNE strives to achieve excellence through a diverse, equitable, and inclusive work environment that embraces all of our individual and collective differences. Black, Indigenous, People of Color, Middle Eastern and North African, Bilingual and/or Bicultural candidates, and LGBTQ2SIA+ candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. We value and honor the unique talents, learning styles, and lived experiences of each individual that enrich and strengthen our workplace culture, and we are proud to be an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer.
All employment conditions are based on an individual’s performance and job qualifications. TSNE prohibits discrimination and harassment of any kind based on race, creed, color, religion, native language, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, national origin, physical or mental disability, age, genetic information, veteran status, marital status, parental status, pregnancy, race-based hairstyles, or any other protected characteristic stated by federal and state law. Regardless of any class’ protection under the law or lack thereof, TSNE celebrates diversity and values the strengths that come with having a diverse team of employees. It is represented in our workplace culture, and it is who we are.
TSNE’s EEO statement extends to volunteers, interns, contractors, vendors, and clients.