Director of Communications
Maryland LCV and Maryland LCV Education Fund
Date Posted: 11/04/2022
Maryland LCV and Maryland LCV Education Fund are seeking a dynamic individual to join our staff as Director of Communications. This position reports to the executive director and will take the lead on planning and carrying out the organization’s internal and external communications, working closely with the executive director; political, program, and development staff; and partners to create and market Maryland LCV’s and Maryland LCV EF’s brand and message through multiple communications channels and strategies, including both earned and paid media. The ideal candidate will be a self-starter who is flexible, entrepreneurial, media- and tech-savvy, and a superior written and oral communicator.
Primary responsibilities include:
- Create and implement an annual organizational strategic public relations/communications plan as well as shorter-term communications plans for key projects.
- Actively guide organizational branding, messaging, and media outreach efforts.
- Serve as the primary media contact for the organization, maintain relationships with reporters and editorial boards across Maryland, and pitch stories, editorials, and op-eds.
- Coordinate closely with directors of core program areas, including the Chispa program (Spanish-language, Latino power-building) to ensure consistent messaging and synergy across all channels in both languages.
- Oversee management of organizational websites, including hiring and managing design & programming contractor(s) and ensuring the sites consistently and accurately reflect organizational priorities and up-to-date information.
- Supervise Membership and Digital Engagement Director.
- Play a leading editorial role in approving (and sometimes creating) content for Maryland LCV’s member email communications including action alerts, e-newsletters, fundraising appeals, event invites, websites, etc.
- Coordinate with the development team on print and digital collateral for fundraising purposes.
- Provide communications expertise and support for issue-advocacy coalitions in which Maryland LCV participates.
- Help expand the impact of Maryland LCV’s candidate endorsement program; collaborate with endorsed candidates, and political programs to ensure Maryland LCV’s message is clearly integrated into campaign materials.
- Oversee LCV’s paid and earned digital media strategy.
- Manage the writing, design and production of print materials including newsletters, one-pagers, scorecards, policy agendas, event collateral, and materials for donor outreach, etc.
- Draft remarks and talking points as needed for Maryland LCV’s executive director and other staff for press conferences, media appearances, events, and fundraising purposes.
- Assist with other duties as required.
- Bachelor’s degree.
- 3 to 5+ years of relevant experience in communications, media relations, non-profit advocacy, political campaigns, or government.
- Experience in managing employees.
- Strong strategic, analytical, organizational, and problem-solving skills, as well as attention to detail.
- Demonstrated media outreach experience. Contacts with media outlets in Maryland and DC region a strong plus.
- Demonstrated fluency with digital strategy and execution, including paid and earned search, social, display, and connect television.
- Proven ability to be an effective and persuasive writer, editor, and communicator
- Strong technological proficiency a plus.
- Experience working within an organization’s brand guidelines and guardianship.
- Ability and willingness to work well as part of a small team.
- Awareness or demonstrated interest in Maryland politics, and/or environmental and sustainability policy.
- Proficiency in written and spoken Spanish is a plus.
- Flexible, and able to switch tasks as priorities dictate.
- Dedicated to Maryland LCV’s values and a commitment to justice, equity, diversity, and inclusion.
Salary and Compensation: Salary range: $90,000-$100,000. Maryland LCV and Maryland LCV EF offers a competitive non-profit salary depending on qualifications and experience. The salary is accompanied by a generous benefits package including health, dental, and vision insurance, paid time-off, and a 401K plan with an employer match.
Position Requirements: This is a full-time position based in Annapolis, Maryland. Occasional remote work may be allowed based on organizational needs and/or emergent public health advisories. This position reports to the executive director. After business hours work may be required.
To Apply: Send a cover letter, resume, writing sample, and salary requirements to Shivaugn Ahern at email@example.com with Director of Communications and Media in the subject line. Applications will be accepted and reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled. Ideal start date is December 15, 2022.
Maryland LCV, a 501(c)(4) organization, advocates for sound conservation policies, educates and endorses candidates for public office, and holds elected officials responsible on issues including our air, land, water and public health. The Maryland LCV Education Fund is a 501(c)(3) organization that strengthens the environmental community by growing a base of
conservation-minded voters across the state. Through outreach and education, the Education Fund builds grassroots field capacity for legislative advocacy and environmental issues. The Maryland LCV PAC is the organization that directly helps elect pro-conservation candidates.
Maryland LCV & Maryland LCV Ed Fund are Equal Opportunity Employers committed to a diverse, inclusive, and equitable workplace.