Deputy Senior Advisor of Communications to the Vice President
Color Of Change
Washington (D.C.), New York (NY), Oakland (CA), or Los Angeles (CA) preferred but remote welcome
Date Posted: 9/10/21
Color Of Change is one of the largest Black-led racial justice organizations in the country with more than 10 million email and SMS subscribers. We specialize in providing our members with easy, strategic actions to take in response to racial injustices—that when added with the voices of others—create the leverage for winning real-world change for Black people.
From ousting district attorneys unwilling to hold police officers accountable to pushing back against Silicon Valley enablers of white supremacists, Color Of Change has a track record of holding decision- makers — corporate and political — accountable to Black people.
There has never been a more compelling time to be in a leadership role at Color Of Change, where we are on the front lines of some of the most critical fights of our time—from voting rights to police accountability.
This exciting role will lead the Vice President’s strategic communications and thought leadership across various platforms and mediums, with the goal of engaging members and igniting decision-makers to take impactful action that leads to victories and systemic change for Black people.
With the skill of a political speechwriter, the mindset of a creative, and the drive of a campaigner, this team member must be goal-oriented and thrive in a media-savvy organization that operates in the political space.
- Work closely with the Senior Advisor and the Marketing & Storytelling Department to drive the Vice President’s communications strategy and shape messaging for internal and external stakeholders
- Develop clear and consistent thought leadership messaging for the Vice President across all platforms
- Create a multi-year strategy to grow the visibility and influence of Color Of Change through the thought leadership of the Vice President, in partnership with the Senior Advisor and Marketing & Storytelling Department
- Leverage the expertise of team members and consultants to produce concise and effective content – including decks, proposals, speeches, reports, media toolkits, op-eds, and articles
- Build strong, trusting relationships with staff across the organization to find ways to uplift campaign stories, in support of Color Of Change’s broader culture and goals
- Provide high-level thought partnership with Senior Advisor on strategic and crisis communication plans as needed
- Revise, edit, and proofread content to accurately reflect the voice and tone of the Vice President as needed
The ideal candidate will have:
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, with the ability to distill complex concepts into clear and explainable statements
- A background building multi-channel communications strategies that center progressive narratives, with preference for candidates that have have experience in racial justice narratives
- A track record of designing and launching cutting-edge communications plans that elevate stories in an ever-changing media landscape
- Hands-on experience developing a brand’s tone of voice
- A proactive approach for identifying opportunities for improvement, as well as removing barriers to implementation
- The ability to build concise presentations in Google Slides in partnership with design team
- Excellent project management skills and attention to detail, with demonstrated experience prioritizing competing projects and multi-tasking across a broad spectrum of collaborators, based in various office locations or working remotely
- Deep commitment to maintaining the confidentiality of sensitive information while exercising appropriate discretion across a range of important internal and external relationships
- Dedication to the mission of Color Of Change: to help people respond effectively to injustice in the world around us, moving decision-makers in corporations and government to create a more human and less hostile world for Black people
- Experience coaching, mentoring, and managing staff helpful, but not required
- A background pitching press and securing publication helpful, but not required
Location: Washington, DC / New York, NY / Oakland, CA / Los Angeles, CA preferred, but remote candidates are welcome
Reports to: Enchanta Jackson, Senior Advisor to the Vice President
Manages: Senior Writer
Salary: $125,000. This is a full-time exempt position.
- Comprehensive Health Insurance – Health benefits plus dental, vision, and affordable family coverage.
- Flex Spending Account – Tax free accounts to offset transportation and medical costs.
- 401K Plan – To save for retirement.
- Life Insurance & Disability – To protect you and your family.
- Generous Vacation Package – 17 days of vacation (almost 3 and a half weeks!) plus 9 sick days and 10 holidays each year.
- Paid Parental Leave – New parents get this time to spend with their family! 12 weeks if you’ve been here a year or more!
- Sabbatical – After 5 years employment, take some time to recharge and pursue personal projects.
- Reimbursement for Home Office Expenses – Staff members can submit up to $500 for reimbursement to further support your their work from home environment
- Cell Phone Reimbursement Benefits – We have two reimbursement options!
Application deadline: October 6, 2021
How to Apply
Click the “Apply to this job” link below and submit a resume.
Color Of Change (COC) is an equal opportunity employer. COC prohibits unlawful discrimination against any employee or applicant for employment based on race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, age, national origin, genetic characteristics, disability, status as a special disabled veteran or veteran, marital status, sexual orientation, sexual identity or any other basis prohibited by law.