Consultancy – Media Engagement
Date Posted: 9/22/2022
Starting as soon as possible (preferably six months)
CIVICUS exists to strengthen people’s power. As a growing global alliance of more than 12,000 members in over 175 countries, we work together to expand civic and democratic space. We strive to promote excluded voices, particularly from the global south. We were established in 1993 and since 2002 have been proudly headquartered in Johannesburg, South Africa, with staff distributed around the world and hubs connecting with key United Nations bodies in New York and Geneva.
2022-2027 Strategic Priorities, 30 years of CIVICUS & 75 years of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights
Since July 2022, CIVICUS has embarked on a new strategic plan period. In line with our 2022-2027 Strategic Priorities we are seeking a consultant with exceptional media skills and expansive networks amongst journalists and advocates to support us in our ambition to radically strengthen public discourse on civic and democratic space. We are looking to expand people centred narratives focusing on the positive contributions of civil society organisations, social movements and peaceful mobilisations for change. Further, the CIVICUS secretariat plans to mark 30 years of the CIVICUS alliance in 2023 through a series of public facing engagements and movement building interventions. These are expected to coincide with the 75th anniversary of the adoption of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights (UDHR) – a milestone document which guides CIVICUS’s work.
- Support the creation of partnerships between CIVICUS research and analysis initiatives and media and communications entities.
- Advise on developing a public facing communications strategy to celebrate citizen action and mark 75 years of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights.
- Support the crafting of people-centred narratives to enhance CIVICUS alliance outreach efforts on civic and democratic space.
- Support CIVICUS in identifying areas of action to strengthen public discourse on civic and democratic space in restricted contexts and supporting groups facing systemic discrimination (more information on pg. 6 of the CIVICUS Annual Plan for 2022-23 and corresponding sections of the CIVICUS Strategic Plan for 2022-27).
The consultant is expected to catalyse enhancement of communications and outreach efforts for the CIVICUS alliance. This is a dynamic consultancy. Expected outcomes include: (i) enhanced visibility of key messages in relevant media platforms, (ii) development of strategic media partnerships to enhance
dissemination of key CIVICUS alliance messages, and (iii) development of a roadmap to spur communications and outreach for key initiatives.
The consultant/s will have the following skills and experience:
- Thorough knowledge of the media landscape along-with strong networks in the media field.
- Extensive experience in initiating, developing and implementing communications strategies and global campaigns.
- Deep understanding of rights-based approaches as applied by civil society.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English. Knowledge of additional languages is an advantage.
Expressions of Interest
Interested candidates should submit a motivation letter outlining their interest in the role and relevant experience, along with a costed proposal and draft work plan.