New Jersey Future (NJF)
Trenton, New Jersey
Date Posted: 1/14/22
About Us: At New Jersey Future (NJF), we believe that great places help build great lives. To help create and preserve our great places, we promote sensible and equitable planning, redevelopment, and infrastructure investments that foster vibrant cities and towns; protect natural lands and waterways; enhance transportation choices beyond cars; support a strong economy; and provide access to safe, affordable, and aging-friendly neighborhoods for everyone. We do this through original research, innovative policy development, coalition-building, advocacy, and hands-on strategic assistance. Embracing differences and advancing fairness is central to our mission and operations, and we are firmly committed to pursuing greater justice, equity, diversity, and inclusion in our work and culture. NJF is located in downtown Trenton, NJ. For more information, visit www.njfuture.org.
Position Summary: NJF seeks an experienced communications professional who is a skilled, organized, and motivated writer and editor to support the organization’s expanding communications and marketing activities. The communications specialist will work within a collaborative team environment to implement and manage program-specific and general organizational communications plans and strategies. This position will report to the communications manager.
Who Will Be Successful: In order to excel in this role at NJF, the candidate must be a detail-oriented editor; a creative, talented writer; and an individual who has demonstrated their commitment to the principles of justice, equity, diversity, and inclusion throughout their professional and/or academic careers.
- Copyedit all organizational materials, including blog posts, reports, newsletters, grant proposals, etc.
- Create written content, including blog posts, op-eds, press releases and statements, promotional and appeal outreach, event-related materials, etc.
- Manage NJF’s newsletter, including editorial calendar, production schedules, and content.
- Review social media content prepared by the digital communications coordinator for NJF and its campaigns, including Lead-Free NJ.
- Produce and post social media content for one or more NJF campaigns, including Sewage-Free Streets and Rivers.
- Maintain and supervise adherence to the organization’s writing style guide.
- Work closely with the digital communications coordinator to ensure the website is current and accurate.
- Seek proactive communications opportunities to grow awareness of the organization’s work.
- Support the communications manager’s media relations work, including communicating with the press, updating media lists, etc.
- Motivated by the organization’s issues, with a strong mission-driven work ethic
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including copyediting
- Experience copyediting and writing material for public viewing
- Experience producing social media content and managing social media accounts for various campaigns and/or programs
- Demonstrated track record of working well in a diverse team environment
- Strong organizational skills, including ability to organize project tasks and work independently
- Ability to learn quickly and work well in a fast-paced environment
- A demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, and justice
- Basic familiarity with email marketing platforms, such as Constant Contact and Mailchimp
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, journalism, public relations, or a field relevant to NJF activities/subject matter (planning, public policy, environmental studies, etc.)
- Two years of relevant work experience (including internships)
Compensation: The final salary for this position is in the range of $42,000 to $52,000 and depends on the candidate’s experience and skills. Salary is negotiable. This is a full-time position with benefits, including health, dental, vision and life insurance, short and long term disability.
Application: Interested and qualified candidates should submit a cover letter and a resume to email@example.com. If selected to advance, one or more writing samples will be required.
New Jersey Future employees are working on a hybrid work-from-home and in-office schedule.