Communications Project Manager
National Housing Trust (NHT)
Date Posted: 9/14/21
National Housing Trust (NHT) is a 30-year-old nonprofit dedicated to creating and preserving affordable housing. Our mission is to create and preserve affordable homes to provide opportunity, advance racial equity, reduce economic disparities, and strengthen community resilience through practice and policy.
NHT has a staff of 32 across five program areas – policy innovation, lending, real estate development, community development, and energy solutions. Our hallmark is our cross functional, integrated approach to innovating, demonstrating, and amplifying solutions to the affordable housing crisis in the U.S.
About the Job
As NHT’s Communications Manager, you’ll work with a team of talented individuals passionate about protecting, maintaining, and improving affordable housing for residents. As a key member of our team, you’ll:
- Lead development and implementation of internal and external communication strategies that advance NHT’s mission.
- Design and execute a communications plan for the organization, leveraging data and experience to optimize our efforts and target key stakeholder groups.
- Partner with NHT leadership and key stakeholders to uncover content opportunities and prioritize needs.
- Create a broad range of internal and external communications deliverables.
- Use effective and visionary messaging to tell NHT’s story and reach new audiences.
Messaging and Collateral Material
- Lead creation of foundational language and messaging strategy about the organization, develop and maintain cohesive collateral materials, and potentially coordinate with outside consultants to support NHT programs and enhance the NHT storyline.
- Manage existing and development of new NHT communications assets: logos, templates, infographics, project portfolios, fact sheets, case studies, etc.
- Coordinate graphic design to develop high-quality materials.
- Draft talking points and content for presentations for priority external meetings and RFPs.
- Reboot NHT newsletter, including writing and editing articles, sourcing images, and updating mailing list.
Social Media, Website, and Digital Assets
- Develop and implement a comprehensive social media strategy, including expanding, elevating, and managing existing social media channels, building followers, and increasing engagement across all owned channels. Leverage a social listening tool to monitor mentions of NHT and key issues.
- Collaborate with NHT program areas to develop public facing content across major communications channels e.g., website, blogs, newsletter, letters to the editor.
- Develop and maintain NHT’s web presence, including NHT affiliated websites, regularly updating content and seeking design and functionality improvements.
- Track, analyze and report on social media and website metrics and performance; adjust editorial and messaging strategy accordingly to grow traffic and engagement.
- Create and maintain catalog of digital assets (photo and video gallery for NHT and its affiliated entities). Maintain photo release documents.
- Build, coordinate, and maintain media list and relationships with key trade and national media; draft and distribute press releases and media alerts to well‐targeted media lists.
- Pursue speaking engagements for the CEO and other key thought leaders to raise the profile of the organization.
- Pursue earned media (PR) opportunities based on news cycle and newsworthy content opportunities.
Communications Manager may, budget permitting, work with consultants or external agencies to expand capacity and support execution.
Does This Sound Like You?
This is an extraordinary opportunity for a committed leader with at least 3 years of experience. Candidates will ideally have experience in nonprofit affordable housing and/or community development. Other qualifications include:
- Commitment to NHT’s mission, including a deep dedication to assisting low-income families create and access opportunities to thrive;
- Detail-oriented, entrepreneurial self-starter who relishes working on several projects at the same time;
- Excellent interpersonal, organizational and communications skills, including both verbal and written skills;
- Excellent planning and organization skills;
- Big picture, strategic vision with ability to integrate thoroughness and attention to details.
- Resourcefulness with the ability to deliver results in an entrepreneurial, dynamic environment;
- Collaborative spirit and positive attitude (a good sense of humor is a plus);
- Proficiency in Adobe Creative Suite applications such as InDesign and Photoshop a plus;
- Ability to adhere to AP Style;
- Proficiency in back-end website management (Drupal);
- Strong computer aptitude skills, including knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite Programs;
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience in Communications, Public Relations, Marketing, or relevant field required.
- 3-5 years of experience in communications, preferably in a generalist role.
- Demonstrated ability to partner with senior leaders and leverage communications to advance business goals.
Salary and benefits are competitive and commensurate with experience. The minimum, median, and maximum salary range for this position is $71,200, $95,100, and $119,000, respectively.
Submit resume and cover letter to email@example.com. Please write “NHT Communications Manager Application” in the subject line of the email. No phone calls.
NHT is an equal opportunity employer.