Communications Manager, Luminate Strategic Initiatives
Luminate Strategic Initiatives
London, UK or Brussels, BE
Date Posted: 11/23/2022
We are seeking a strategic communications professional to lead the external communications requirements for Luminate Strategic Initiatives. The Communications Manager will be responsible for building and protecting the profile of the Luminate Strategic Initiatives (LSI) team, their work and where appropriate those of their partners. The role will oversee, but not be limited to, all external affairs, reputation management, media strategy and relations, risk and crisis management.
LSI consolidates our global work to tackle digital threats to democracy created by the business models and products of the Big Tech platforms. We are at an exciting juncture in our journey and the Communications Manager will be critical to the successful delivery of the objectives and the ambitious scope of this work.
The ideal candidate must have demonstrable expertise in proactive profile raising for complex organisations and issues as well as clear expertise in risk and issues management. The ideal candidate will have strong media engagement and management skills, a sharp news sense and ability to pitch stories, and a good network of contacts across a wide variety of media. The candidate must have the analytical skills and writing ability to translate complex issues into clear and compelling content including opinion articles, briefings, speeches and talking points. They must also have the ability to work with and manage communications agencies and other content creators.
It would be highly advantageous but not essential for the candidate to have an interest in and understanding of the issue areas that the LSI team work on – such as the threats of online disinformation and hate speech – and the role of Big Tech companies are playing in distorting how information is created, disseminated and consumed. Experience in related and complementary fields such as human rights, tech policy, climate change or press freedom would also be useful.
The role sits within the Luminate Strategic Communications team – with whom they will work closely on a day-to day basis – and will report to Luminate’s Senior Director of Strategic Communications. The role will coordinate closely with LSI’s Vice President and Director of Campaigns and Media.
This position could be based in Brussels, Belgium or London, United Kingdom. Successful candidates must be based in the identified locations and have a right to work in their country of residence. Competitive salary and benefits are offered.
The Communications Manager will have a range of responsibilities to include the following:
- Managing and building the profile and reputation of LSI through its external communications, media relations and thought leadership work
- Working closely with the LSI team to build their profiles to ensure they are being sought out as commentators and identifying opportunities to amplify our messages
- Proactively advising on reputational or other risks for LSI while supporting LSI to continue doing the work
- Effectively building relationships with communication agencies, vendors and a wide range of other stakeholders
- Carrying out media relations activity. Explore new and creative ways to engage with media and influencers
- Drafting high quality collateral including press releases, media briefings, talking points, social media messages and blogs/op-eds
- Developing and executing partnerships with externally organised events, including theme development, speaker recruitment, content preparation, and promotion
- Maintaining and updating media contact lists/ databases and organising press conferences or briefings
QUALITIES AND EXPERIENCE
Note: We view this section as a guide, not a checklist. We encourage you to apply even if you don’t satisfy every single bullet on this list.
- You’ve spent significant time in a variety of professional communication roles; with specific experience of working in a fast-moving, issues-based, highly decentralised, global organisation across multiple countries or regions
- You’re motivated by the thematic focus of LSI’s work and supporting the development of a better internet
- You’re an excellent project manager; with the ability to manage, execute and successfully deliver multiple projects at the same time
- You’re experienced and passionate about purpose-driven social impact work
- You’re talented and have proven the ability of crafting media strategies for maximal impact
- You’re highly collaborative; able to offer and receive constructive feedback, comfortable working in fast-paced and challenging contexts
- You’re an experienced and effective writer; with strong briefing, writing and editing skills
- You’ve got great people skills; you’re quick to establish rapport and build relationships
- You’re a great communicator; with strong written and verbal communication skills in English and ideally another major European language
HOW TO APPLY
Our screening process requires candidates to respond to a handful of questions that provide perspective on how your skills would relate to the day-to-day job. Submissions will be anonymised, randomised and reviewed by a panel of reviewers from the hiring team. If you are shortlisted, we’ll invite you to the next step, which includes meeting with members of the team.
Applications are due by 11.59pm BST 14 December 2022.
Luminate is a global foundation working to ensure that everyone – especially those who are underrepresented – has the information, rights, and power to influence the decisions that shape society. The foundation is focused on enabling people to fully participate in civic and political life, to safely challenge power, and to access accurate, trustworthy information. It was established by philanthropists Pierre and Pam Omidyar and has worked for over a decade on issues related to governance and citizen engagement.
IMPORTANT INFORMATION YOU SHOULD KNOW
Luminate believes that diversity and inclusion make us more successful in our work, and we seek to recruit, develop, and retain the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, age, sex, religion, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, gender identity or expression, or any other basis protected by local, state, or national law.