Communications Intern (Remote)
Date Posted: 10/25/2022
Communications Intern (Remote)
GreatSchools is the leading nonprofit providing high-quality information that supports parents pursuing a great education for their child, schools striving for excellence, and communities working to diminish inequities in education. We are the only national organization that collects and analyzes data from all 51 state departments of education and the federal government to provide analysis, insights, and school quality ratings for parents, partners, researchers, and policymakers. Over 49 million users visit GreatSchools’ award-winning website annually to learn about schools in their area, explore research insights, and access thousands of free, evidence-based parenting resources to support their child’s learning and well-being. We are a mission-driven team that believes all children — especially those who have been historically underserved by the education system — deserve an excellent education.
We are excited to offer a 6-12 month communications internship (with some flexibility based on graduation dates, etc.) for a student who is interested in the intersection of strategic communications and education. Through this position, the intern will gain a deeper understanding of communications strategy as it relates to advancing the priorities of a mission-driven nonprofit. The intern will work closely with the External Affairs team to build GreatSchools’ external digital brand and advance its presence among parents, families, researchers, and policymakers.
This is a remote position, with the opportunity to work from our Oakland, CA headquarters for Bay Area residents. This position reports to the Senior Manager, Communications.
- Create and maintain a content calendar for GreatSchools’ social media accounts, with special focus on Twitter and LinkedIn
- Draft social media copy to share relevant news in the field, amplify GreatSchools’ work, and position us within the education community
- Monitor education news coverage and new research for potential dissemination on GreatSchools’ social and digital channels
- Collaborate with the Senior Manager, Communications on media relations activities, such as drafting press releases and news pitches, monitoring media coverage, updating press clips on GreatSchools’ website
- Assist with drafting and/or editing GreatSchools communications assets
- Other duties as assigned
- Strong written and verbal communications skills
- Ability to work independently; take initiative while also knowing when to ask for help
- A curiosity about and commitment to equity in education
- Strong attention to detail
Preferred but not required:
- Undergraduate and/or graduate coursework experience in communications, public relations, marketing, education/education policy, or another related field
- Verbal and/or written fluency in Spanish
- $23/hour; 8-10 hours/week
- 6-12 month program (some flexibility based on graduation dates)
First application deadline is November 27, 2022, with an anticipated start date in January 2023 (flexible based on candidate availability).