SEIU (Service Employees International Union)
Date Posted: 02/14/2019
SEIU Local 1000 is the largest state worker union in the country, representing 95,000 state employees throughout California. Our mission is to engage, mobilize and represent both our members and our communities to achieve social and economic justice for all. The person selected to join our leadership team will share our goal of fighting for all working people and our vision for the future of the labor movement. We’re searching for a Communications Director who brings extensive experience in crafting winning messages and strategies in a progressive campaign and or advocacy setting, fluency in 21st century tactics and a record of success directing rapid response and crisis communications efforts. You’ll lead a team of eight communications specialists and work closely with the leadership of the union to engage and mobilize key internal and external audiences for organizing, representation, bargaining, and political and legislative campaigns. Local 1000’s Communications Department is a full-service operation responsible for print, design, digital, video and earned media communications, as well as event production.
• Develop and implement Local 1000’s internal and external strategic communications plans, including in the areas of press, graphic design, mail and digital communications.
• Produce and supervise the production of newsletters, website, social media content, press releases, public remarks and speeches, fliers, brochures, op-eds, talking points, letters to the editor and other materials.
• Oversee proactive earned media and digital campaigns that reinforce, protect and expand awareness of the union’s branding and mission.
• Work closely with Officers and staff to create short-term and long-term campaign plans, in addition to communications strategies for increasing the size, strength, activism and savvy of our union membership.
• Manage processes, projects and a team of eight staff to support, meet and exceed deadlines, goals, and expectations.
• Serve as chief speech writer for union officers.
• Attend frequent special events, some of which occur in the evenings and/or weekends and require overnight travel.
The Ideal Candidate Will Have the Following Qualifications:
• 5-7 years experience in political campaign and progressive advocacy communications, branding and media relations.
• Proven record of success directing rapid response and crisis communications efforts.
• Extensive on the record media experience.
• Familiarity with social media strategy and digital best practices.
• Project management experience, the ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously, and meet established deadlines.
• Experience in designing and implementing strategic communications plans for organizing and political campaigns, as well as collective bargaining.
• Excellent writing, editing and interpersonal communication skills.
• Familiarity with local and national media.
• Proficiency with both PC and Mac-based word-processing tools.
• 3-5 years’ experience supervising people and processes.
• Degree in media, communications, marketing, writing, or related area.
Who We Represent
SEIU Local 1000 represents 95,000 California state employees in nine different bargaining units.
Represented employees include professionals, educators, nurses and administrative and support
employees. Local 1000 has approximately 200 employees who work in six offices throughout the state
A resume is required for all applications and a cover letter is highly suggested. Your cover letter should explain your reason for wanting to work for us, an example of how you demonstrated success in a similar position and a description of how this position fits into your long-term career plan.