New York, New York
Date Posted: 01/16/2020
Shift is seeking a detail-oriented, clear and creative communicator who can develop print, web, video and audio content that illustrates Shift’s impact to a variety of audiences. The ideal candidate is both technically savvy and skilled at creating compelling written messages. Shift is a dynamic team of people who are committed to making meaningful change at the intersection of business and human rights. Join us.
This position is being re-posted with revised requirements. If you applied for this position in Fall 2019 and meet the requirements below, we welcome you to re-apply.
Shift is the leading center of expertise on the UN Guiding Principles on Business and Human Rights. Shift’s global team of experts works across all continents and sectors to challenge assumptions, push boundaries and redefine corporate practice in order to build a world where business gets done with respect for people’s dignity. Shift is a non-profit, mission-driven organization headquartered in New York City. Visit www.shiftproject.org and follow us at @shiftproject to learn more about our work.
About the Position
As Shift’s Communications Coordinator, you will use your technical and creative skills to help design and develop media (e.g., graphics, videos, layouts) as well as your editorial expertise to craft narratives that illustrate Shift’s work and impact. Based in our New York office, you will also collaborate with Shift team members across North America and Europe to bring their mission-driven research and analysis to life. This role requires a creative, tech-savvy and detail-oriented individual who is self-motivated and enthusiastic about Shift’s mission. You must be capable of managing multiple tasks at once and comfortable with a quick pace of work.
- Execute on Shift’s communications strategy under the oversight of Shift’s Communications Advisor.
- Coordinate the development of publications, blog posts, reports, email newsletters and other collateral by maintaining a communications calendar and collaborating with team members across North America and Europe to meet editorial and outreach deadlines.
- Create and edit images, audio and video for a variety of external channels. Prepare charts, graphs and infographics that present Shift’s impact in interesting and visually compelling ways.
- Manage the content of three Shift web properties (shiftproject.org, ungpreporting.org and businessrespecthumanrights.org). This may include creating and editing pages, formatting images and video for the web and uploading data files, among other tasks, primarily in WordPress. You will also be liaising with external vendors to ensure the websites are foundationally stable and secure.
- Ensure Shift’s brand and editorial guidelines are strictly adhered to, providing support on a variety of external communications efforts. This may include formatting or proofreading PowerPoint presentations, managing webinar invites and RSVPs or putting in place appropriate technology to support webinars and other outreach events.
- Manage Shift’s communications collateral, including managing document templates, keeping assets and files organized, following up on internal and external requests for graphics, and liaising with external design agencies or other vendors, like photographers, to obtain collateral following events and outreach.
Experience, Competencies and Skills
- 2-4 years of professional experience and an undergraduate degree in communications, journalism, public relations, marketing, or a similar area.
- Copy editing and proofreading experience in English, including correcting and reviewing written materials for accuracy, readability and fitness for purpose.
- Demonstrated experience using Illustrator, InDesign and/or Photoshop.
- Demonstrated project management experience that reflects organizational skills, attention to detail, record keeping and process management. Comfortable multi-tasking and using initiative to solve unexpected problems.
- Proven experience using content management systems (particularly WordPress) for website maintenance and a willingness to independently problem solve basic page layout and display issues.
- Experience with email automation platforms (MailChimp or similar) to design and send newsletters and mass emails.
- Ability to work in Microsoft Office suite, namely PowerPoint, Word (including using and editing templates and more advanced formatting options) and Excel.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills and an ability to articulate complex subject matter in a straightforward and concise manner for multiple audiences
- Full professional proficiency in English.
- Existing permission to work in the US and an ability to work in New York. Essential duties are typically performed in a shared office setting near Union Square. There may be some limited travel involved.
- Previous experience working on human rights, business and human rights, sustainability, ESG and/or corporate social responsibility.
- Understanding of basic HTML.
- Familiarity with the basics of web design, website development and graphic design.
- Experience contributing to the production of audio and video products.
- Language skills in addition to English, especially Spanish and French.
Salary and Benefits
This position offers a highly competitive nonprofit salary. Benefits include:
- Health care: Full individual coverage through Shift’s US healthcare plan for medical, vision and dental.
- Vacation: 4 weeks per year plus official US holidays.
- Sick Leave and Parental Leave are also provided for.
- Retirement contribution equivalent to 5% of annual salary.
Deadline for Applications: Friday, 7 February 2020
Please submit a 1-page (maximum) letter of interest, CV, and short writing sample to be considered for this position. The CV and writing sample can be submitted as a single file. We also welcome inclusion of links to a portfolio or past work.We may communicate with you via an HR software application. Please whitelist email@example.com to help us avoid your spam filter.