ACLU of Minnesota
Date Posted: 11/23/22
The ACLU of Minnesota is seeking a full-time Communications Associate to join our team. With more than 30,000 members, the ACLU of Minnesota is a non-partisan, non-profit public interest organization devoted to protecting the civil rights and civil liberties of those who live in and work in Minnesota. The ACLU of Minnesota is an affiliate of the national ACLU, the leading defender of civil liberties guaranteed by the Bill of Rights. At the ACLU of Minnesota, we take pride in our reputation of 70 years of fighting for people whose civil liberties are threatened or denied.
The ACLU of Minnesota seeks a Communications Associate to employ a combination of communications strategy, innovative tactics, and content development to increase the visibility of our programmatic work and to engage the public and stakeholders. The Communications associate reports to the Communications Director, and works collaboratively with the communications, legal, policy and organizing teams to create communications strategies and advocacy campaigns that build movements and create policy change.
The position includes research and persuasive writing across multiple media formats including blogs, Op-Eds, emails and calls to action. The ideal candidate is excited to figure out the best way to engage and move audiences across multiple platforms and utilizes analytics, A/B testing and more to achieve success among target audiences. Skills in strategic communications campaigns, photojournalist-style photography, video, digital campaigns – and a focus on storytelling – are a plus.
The position is based in our Minneapolis office, providing access to the Twin Cities area’s best.
Our Communication Associate’s Core Responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Collaborating with the Communications Director to develop and lead communications strategies and campaigns to advance key policy, legal, community engagement and development goals
- Bringing a campaign-based lens to programmatic communications. Creating persuasive messaging frameworks and content that advocate for ACLU-MN priorities and move people to action including calls to actions, web pages, emails, talking points, toolkits, op-eds. reports, blogs, speeches and newsletters
- Building web pages, HTML emails, action alerts, and forms to support campaign, program and development communications
- Tracking and analyzing communications metrics
- Covering ACLU-MN events, including legislative and legal hearings. Livestream, Live Tweet and take photos/videos as needed.
- Helping communications team actively monitor news and social media channels to identify emerging stories and rapid-response moments.
- Serving as backup on media relations and social media.
- Supervising interns and volunteers.
We understand no single applicant will have all of these skills. If you feel you meet most of them and find this job exciting, please apply!
- At least three years of relevant work experience and demonstrated success in communications, journalism, digital organizing, marketing or a related field. Personally committed to advancing the ACLU’s values, mission, goals and programs, with an understanding of the range of civil liberties issues and their implications. Strong organizational skills with the ability to work collaboratively in a fast-paced environment while simultaneously managing several projects on tight deadlines and the flexibility to adjust to frequently shifting priorities.
- A demonstrated ability to write clearly, accurately, precisely and powerfully to move people to action on numerous platforms
- Avid consumer of news and information with ability to analyze and synthesize information quickly, simply and powerfully.
- Knowledge and experience with content management systems such as Drupal, email marketing campaigns, and action alerts.
- Solid proofreading skills, including basic knowledge of AP style.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office 365 Suite, Google Docs, and Canva.
- Proficiency with social media platforms and analytics.
- Experience with developing and implementing digital campaigns to achieve advocacy goals.
- Strong, consistent attention to detail; and the ability to follow through on work assignments independently and accurately.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, and a personal approach that values and respects all individuals regardless of race, ethnicity, age, gender, sexual orientation, gender expression/identity, religion, ability and socioeconomic circumstances.
These skills are a plus:
- A focus on storytelling to show the human impact of unconstitutional and inhumane government actions and policies.
- Documentary-style photography.
- Verbal and written fluency in Spanish.
- Knowledge of Heap and Sailthru, and Adobe Creative Suites.
- Experience working with or in a nonprofit.
- Creating and editing video and audio content.
- Polling, A/B testing and other methods to generate and track winning messaging
- Knowledge of Minnesota’s political and media landscape.
- Ability to drive, and have complete access to a car.
- Ability to manage a flexible, full-time schedule, including attending occasional evening and weekend meetings and events.
- Ability to communicate and interact positively with diverse groups of people in a variety of settings
COMPENSATION RANGE: $50,000 – $57,000
Click here to apply
To be included in the application:
Be prepared to upload. (All attachments should be in Word or .pdf format):
- Letter of interest
- Three written samples that show off your skillset. If available, please also send up to 10 photos, and/or a video.
- Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Statement (A brief summary – 800 words to 1 page) of your values, experiences, and capabilities related to diversity, equity and inclusion.)
- Three professional references (relationship, email address, and phone numbers).
Your references will not be contacted unless you are a finalist for the position.
The position is open until filled, so apply soon.
* Please note that the ACLU-MN is currently operating under a hybrid work model, in which staff spend a minimum of two days per week working in their local office, while working from home when not in the office.
ACLU is an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. The ACLU encourages applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, veteran status, and record of arrest or conviction.
The ACLU undertakes affirmative action strategies in its recruitment and employment efforts to assure that persons with disabilities have full opportunities for employment in all positions. We encourage applicants with disabilities who may need accommodations in the application process to contact: email@example.com. Correspondence sent to this email address that is not related to requests for accommodations will not be reviewed. Applicants should follow the instructions above on how to apply.