The Global Development Incubator (GDI)
Washington, DC; New York, NY; or San Francisco, CA
Date Posted: 03/27/2018
The Global Development Incubator (GDI) builds startups and partnerships to address some of the world’s toughest global development challenges. We play a mix of the strategist and implementer role to spin out new initiatives over 24-36 months. Throughout each stage of our process, we bring together the right partners across sectors – including corporations, nonprofits, governments, and foundations – to help game-changing ideas scale their impact and prepare them for long-term success.
Above all, we turn talk into action by matching ambitious leaders, strong concepts, and funding with the executional power required to launch and scale large-scale social change efforts. In our first five years, GDI has collaborated closely with over 35 social impact initiatives, including designing, building, launching, and exiting several entirely new initiatives that now stand as independent organizations. Learn more at www.globaldevincubator.org
The Communications Associate role is a unique opportunity to apply strategic communications, writing/editing, and branding skills towards building social impact startups and partnerships.
We believe strategic communications are critical to driving transformative social change; GDI’s communications team and this position connect communications to the organization’s core strategy. The Communications Associate will be embedded in both the GDI team and the teams of our initiatives. For GDI, this person will help build our brand as thought leaders shaking up how global development is done. For our incubated initiatives, the Communications Associate will work closely with partners to build their core communications elements from the ground up.
The Communications Associate will wear a variety of hats in their day-to-day work, including leading projects in communications strategy, branding and positioning, writing and editing, thought leadership, media relations, social media, analytics, graphic design, web design, events, and marketing. Additionally, this person will be exposed to a variety of global development issues – from smallholder farmer finance, to mental health, to unorthodox philanthropy – and everywhere in between.
GDI is a team of do-ers and we are looking for a Communications Associate who shares our “get shit done” ethos. The Communications Associate must be a self-starter with an entrepreneurial spirit who is energized by working with leading social innovators in a fast-paced environment. This person must be able to operate thoughtfully and creatively in ambiguity and be prepared to make mistakes in the spirit of learning and moving the needle on global development challenges. This position will report to GDI’s Communications Manager, but will have significant responsibility and a high degree of autonomy to not just support, but also lead GDI’s communications services for our senior-level external partners.
The Communications Associate will:
- Directly plan and lead GDI’s fit-to-purpose communications support for several incubated initiatives
- Support writing and editing of GDI and partner-authored articles, blogs, and other materials
- Build communications strategies for incubated initiatives
- Identify and manage key milestones (e.g. launch announcements, publications) for initiatives
- Design websites, logos, and marketing materials for GDI incubated initiatives
- Manage GDI’s social media channels (Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn), including reporting analytics
- Manage updates to GDI’s website (WordPress), including reporting analytics
- Create email newsletters and manage contact lists
- Coordinate media outreach to build publicity around key GDI and initiative milestones
- Identify, secure, and coordinate conference speaking opportunities for GDI and our initiatives
Desired Qualifications and Experience
- 3-5 years of applicable past work experience
- A bachelor’s degree or higher
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, including impeccable English grammar and editing skills
- Proven ability to quickly distill and synthesize complicated issues into clear writing for a lay audience, including stripping technical topics of jargon
- Exceptional time and project management skills, attention to detail, and ability to work independently under tight deadlines
- Visual design skills and the ability to apply them to different modalities
- Effective use of social media channels (e.g. Twitter, LinkedIn, Facebook)
- Knowledge and/or experience (professional or academic) of key trends in communications and social impact
- Entrepreneurial “get shit done” mindset and the ability to be productive and results-oriented in both collaborative and self-directed contexts
- Passion for communicating for impact (e.g. advocacy, community outreach, storytelling)
- Experience building basic websites in SquareSpace; ability to manage websites through CMS platforms (e.g. WordPress); familiarity with mass mail systems such as MailChimp
- Experience with Adobe Creative Cloud, especially InDesign, Photoshop, and Illustrator
- Experience living and/or working in a developing country
- Client-facing project management background
- Experience analyzing data from Google Analytics, developing key performance indicators, and understanding SEO best practices
- Video production and/or infographic design skills
- Understanding of basic branding and positioning principles
How to Apply
Interested and qualified applicants should send a single PDF document containing a one-page cover letter and a one-page resume to email@example.com, with “GDI Communications Associate” in the subject line. We are looking to hire quickly and will be reviewing applications on a rolling basis; applicants are therefore encouraged to apply as soon as possible before April 9, 2018. Please note that due to the high volume of applications, we will only contact candidates selected for interviews.
GDI provides equal employment opportunity to all individuals regardless of their race, color, creed, religion, gender, age, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by state, federal, or local law. Individuals from all backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.