Wellspring Philanthropic Fund
New York, New York
Date Posted: 01/14/2020
Wellspring Philanthropic Fund seeks a Communications Associate to help advance Foundation and programmatic goals using strategic communications for internal and external audiences. This position offers a unique and exciting opportunity to help shape a growing communications department and drive communications, influence, and initiatives that contribute to the Foundation’s overall mission and vision.
Wellspring’s newly established communications department is responsible for setting the strategy and direction for all internal, external and donor communications that support the executive leadership and the staff.
The Communications Associate’s work relates to:
- institutional communications on behalf of the Foundation as an organization;
- donor communications, in which communications is used, in partnership with program colleagues and leadership, as a strategic tool to elevate programmatic and grantee work and their impact; and
- internal communications, to assist in developing a strategy and standards of excellence for the Foundation’s internal communications, messaging and execution.
The Communications Associate reports to the Director of Communications.
- With the Director, design internal and external communication strategies and implementation to support program work, with an understanding of determinants of impact and success.
- Manage multiple communications projects and initiatives concurrently.
- Contribute to, and edit, Foundation written materials that help achieve organizational goals.
- Ensure quality and consistent style and branding of content in print and on the website with strong copyediting and proofreading.
- Monitor news and information related to the Foundation, its program areas, and grantees.
- Draft press materials, when needed, and internal documents.
- Assist with planning and preparing talking points and presentation materials as needed.
- Serve as a resource for programs in thinking about strategic communications.
- Serve as a supportive, creative, and flexible team member.
- Participate in Foundation-wide committees; diversity, equity, inclusion and belonging (DEIB) work; and internal culture building
- Pursue ongoing professional development opportunities related to the communications field and DEIB work; and participate in Foundation-wide training sessions
The ideal candidate will:
- Be well-organized while also being a creative thinker
- Proven strong project-management skills
- Possess the ability to shift priorities quickly as needed, and able to lead work independently.
- Have a high degree of comfort with rapidly changing, ambiguous contexts and an ability to help craft a clear path forward in these environments.
- Have a track record of designing and executing communications initiatives.
- Have the ability to write clearly for various audiences.
- Bring an entrepreneurial mindset to generate new approaches, spot opportunities, and initiate action.
- Have a deep-rooted intellectual curiosity and openness to diverse ideas and perspectives.
- Thrive an environment that values transparency, collaboration, and an orientation for results.
- Bring a “can-do” attitude and have a willingness to stretch in their role as the Foundation’s needs evolve.
- BS or BA in Communications, Journalism, or Public Relations – or equivalent experience.
- 3-5 years of experience working in a communications and/or external affairs function.
- A demonstrated interest in human rights/social justice.
- Understand and value social justice, including racial and gender equity as an organizational operating principle.
- Superior written and oral communication skills; ability to produce clear, concise content within tight deadlines; meticulous proofreader and copyeditor.
- Strong project management skills, sense of responsibility and accountability and the ability to effectively multi-task and shift gears comfortably.
- Excellent analytic and critical thinking skills, with the ability to see the bigger picture and map a road towards completing goals.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, with the ability to foster trust and build relationships.
- Successful track record developing communication strategies and campaigns.
- Experience with rapid response communications.
- Intellectual curiosity, passion, and hunger to develop, learn, and try new things.
- Sense of teamwork, community, humor, and integrity.
- Ability to work independently and on a team.
- Demonstrated respect for diversity and multicultural sensitivity.
- Non-profit and/or advocacy communications experience, a plus.
- Fluency in Spanish, a plus.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint), Adobe Photoshop, Mailchimp and InDesign a plus.
Salary and Benefits
Salary is commensurate with experience. Wellspring offers a very generous benefits package including payment of 100% of the health insurance premiums for employees (and 80% of the premiums for spouses, domestic partners and qualified family members). Wellspring also offers other benefits including life insurance, long‐term disability protection, a group 401(k) retirement plan (with an employer match), support for continuing education, and is committed to providing transgender‐inclusive healthcare.
About Wellspring Philanthropic Fund
Wellspring Philanthropic Fund is a private grantmaking foundation with offices in New York, NY, and Washington, DC. Wellspring is dedicated to advancing the realization of human rights and social and economic justice for all people. Our work is rooted in respect for the dignity and worth of every human being. Learn more at www.wpfund.org
Wellspring hires, promotes and retains employees based on their professional qualifications, demonstrated abilities and work performance, as well as on the degree to which these qualities are required in the employment positions made available by the Foundation’s service needs and business requirements. Wellspring welcomes candidates with diverse experience backgrounds and strongly encourages people of color and persons with disabilities to apply. All personnel decisions, including but not limited to recruitment, hiring, compensation, assignment, training, promotion, discipline and discharge, are made without discrimination. Qualified candidates for employment having records of arrest or criminal conviction will be considered.
Chaloner has partnered with Wellspring Philanthropic Fund on their search for a Communications Associate. Interested candidates should apply by using the application form. Chaloner will review all applicants and, upon qualification, contact you to determine next steps.