Communications and Marketing Specialist
University of California, San Francisco
San Francisco, California
Date Posted: 11/14/2022
University Development and Alumni Relations (UDAR) at UCSF seeks a full-time Communications and Marketing Specialist (CMS). The CMS will deliver compelling and impactful content that highlights UCSF’s mission of advancing health worldwide through preeminent biomedical research, graduate-level education in the life sciences and health professions, and excellence in patient care. In this position, the CMS will work with and learn from a team of experienced, award-winning designers, writers, and web professionals. Under the direction of the communications and marketing manager, the CMS will plan, write, and produce a suite of monthly e-newsletters that consistently yield industry-leading email engagement rates. The CMS will also be the primary writer for UDAR’s special events communications. The specialist will also occasionally provide writing, copy editing, or project management support for fundraising and alumni communications. The person in this role will be tasked with communicating the success of their work by generating and sharing metrics.
The CMS’ work will appear in websites, emails, social media channels, and other communications channels. All work will adhere to UCSF brand and style guidelines and align with industry best practices. The specialist will ensure that all deliverables possess appropriate imagery, quality, and tone, commensurate with the purpose, strategy, audience, and objectives of the communication.
The CMS’ work will directly impact the success of UCSF’s fundraising, stewardship, and events programs by building relationships with and securing support from the campus’s internal and external enterprise-wide audiences including faculty, staff, students, community members, and donor constituencies.
Note that this role has the potential to be remote for the right candidate. Applicants will need to be available during pacific time business hours to manage stakeholder reviews and approvals.
Core Responsibilities include:
- Create, send, and generate metrics for three monthly donor e-newsletters (UCSF Insider, Cancer Insights, and Inside Neuroscience) as well as a beginning-of-year donor cultivation e-newsletter:
- Coordinate and communicate with stakeholders for e-newsletter input and review
- Write copy and find/create appropriate digital assets in collaboration with the design team
- Create, test, and send e-newsletters utilizing Marketing Cloud templates and Sales Cloud campaigns and reports
- Generate and share metrics with stakeholders and management
- Use project-management software (Workfront) to track and document progress and archive test results and final copy
- Draft compelling copy for special events communications. Collaborate with the digital communications specialists and events team to ensure that content meets industry best practices
- Collaborate with digital communications specialists to troubleshoot email rendering or delivery problems
- Stay current on email marketing best practices and share learnings and insights regularly with the broader marketing team
In the first three months as a Communications and Marketing Specialist, under manager supervision, you will learn to utilize industry-leading marketing and CRM software to write, build, and create text- and image-rich, monthly e-newsletters and event communications that showcase UCSF’s leadership and excellence in research, patient care, and education. You’ll learn about our brand, audience, and communications goals. You’ll engage key internal and external stakeholders as you build collaborative, congenial working relationships with internal clients.
Within six months you will take full ownership of the monthly e-newsletter process, including stakeholder management, writing content for and building e-newsletters, as well as generating monthly metrics reports, which you will share with stakeholders and management. You’ll be the primary events copywriter, familiarizing yourself with all collateral that is utilized for our special events. You’ll hone your ability to create sharp, on-brand marketing copy for targeted audiences as you expand your knowledge of and facility with digital e-newsletter and email creation.
And after a year you will be responsible for elevating our monthly e-newsletters and metrics. You will use your knowledge to suggest opportunities for enhancing event communications. You will leverage your experience to improve and optimize audience engagement and expand audiences through the creative use of digital tools and content. You’ll keep informed of trends and new developments in the digital space to improve email delivery, metrics accuracy, and content efficacy. You’ll counsel stakeholders on industry best practices as you continue to develop your subject-matter expertise.
The UCSF Foundation and the Office of University Development and Alumni Relations (UDAR) are responsible for fostering and strengthening the campus outreach efforts to UCSF constituents and for garnering private support for the campus and the Medical Center. In raising private support, UDAR identifies, qualifies, solicits and stewards donors for the schools, medical centers, departments and programs on campus; accepts and administers all private gifts to the university through The Regents or the UCSF Foundation; and manages all alumni relations activities, campus support group activities and campus events. The UDAR office staffs the UCSF Foundation. The office is also responsible for the design and implementation of fundraising campaigns for UCSF.
- Bachelor’s degree in related area and / or equivalent experience / training
- 3+ years related work experience
- At least 2 years’ experience working in digital marketing or communications in roles of increasing responsibility
- Excellent, meticulous attention to detail while working quickly and efficiently
- Exceptional proficiency in proofreading, fact-checking, and copy editing
- Demonstrated proficiency in writing crisp, engaging, on-brand copy targeted for specific audiences and utilizing digital assets (photos, video, etc.) to augment messaging
- Knowledge of digital communications best practices; adept at quickly learning new software and tools relevant to digital communications
- Demonstrated proficiency using desktop and cloud-based productivity software such as Microsoft Office (Excel, Outlook, and Word), Google (Sheets, Docs, Calendar), and Box. Basic skills utilizing Photoshop
- Strong project management skills and experience collaborating with others to execute projects
- Solid written, verbal, interpersonal communications, active listening, and political acumen skills
- Strong creative problem-solving skills and the ability to handle multiple priorities in a fast-paced, action-oriented environment
- Knowledge of UCSF, its achievements, mission, vision, goals, policies, practices, and infrastructure
- knowledge of current affairs, and issues in higher education and / or health sciences
- Knowledge of fundraising principles and how to tailor writing to a development program
- Basic knowledge or aptitude for Workfront or other project management software
- Basic understanding of HTML and CSS desirable, but not required
The University of California, San Francisco (UCSF) is a leading university dedicated to promoting health worldwide through advanced biomedical research, graduate-level education in the life sciences and health professions, and excellence in patient care. It is the only campus in the 10-campus UC system dedicated exclusively to the health sciences. We bring together the world’s leading experts in nearly every area of health. We are home to five Nobel laureates who have advanced the understanding of cancer, neurodegenerative diseases, aging and stem cells.
UCSF is a diverse community made of people with many skills and talents. We seek candidates whose work experience or community service has prepared them to contribute to our commitment to professionalism, respect, integrity, diversity and excellence – also known as our PRIDE values.
In addition to our PRIDE values, UCSF is committed to equity – both in how we deliver care as well as our workforce. We are committed to building a broadly diverse community, nurturing a culture that is welcoming and supportive, and engaging diverse ideas for the provision of culturally competent education, discovery, and patient care. Additional information about UCSF is available at diversity.ucsf.edu
Join us to find a rewarding career contributing to improving healthcare worldwide.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California San Francisco is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran or disabled status, or genetic information.