Communications and Creative Director
SEIU Local 49
Date Posted: 09/06/2019
About SEIU LOCAL49
SEIU Local 49 represents a diverse group of 15,000 healthcare and property service workers throughout Oregon and Southwest Washington. Our members include: hospital and healthcare workers, security officers, janitors and workers in manufacturing and other industries. The continued growth of our union reflects an aggressive approach to organizing and community engagement on key progressive issues, paired with a longstanding dedication to improving the wages, benefits and working conditions of working families. Local 49 is part of the Service Employees International Union(SEIU),oneofthe largest and fastest-growing unions in the United States.
SEIU 49 is hiring a full–time Communications and Creative Director. This position will direct internal membership communications, external media communications, and new organizing communications through print, digital, paid and earned media to achieve social and economic
justice for working people and their families.
General Statement of Duties
• Develop and oversee communications and design in print, digital and earned media that builds activism to improve the lives of working families.
• Supervise media coverage for our union and build relationships with media that generate positive coverage of our union.
• Provide effective direction to consultants, partner organizations and others.
• Train members and staff on best practices in communication technology.
• Work collaboratively with union leaders and staff around key issues and campaigns to translate a vision of our union’s work into written and digital communications projects.
• Identify opportunities to publicly communicate workers’ stories and experiences.
• Other duties as assigned.
Strategic Planning and Content Development
• Strong verbal and written communication skills, with demonstrated success in strategic messaging.
• Ability to write and develop a communications plan that includes digital, written, paid, and earned media to a variety of audiences.
• Distill complex information to create short and relevant messages to a target audience.
• Manage content on various platforms including website and social media.
• Appreciate beautiful design, understand fresh approaches and have a knack for smart copy.
• Manage up and laterally to develop and implement communications plans.
• Ability to work with working-class membership from diverse backgrounds.
• Strong strategic planner, able to drive towards multiple deadlines with various departments and goals.
• Strategically prioritize tasks to maximize time without sacrificing quality.
• Develop systems to track details accurately.
• Willingness to work long and irregular hours, including nights and weekends.
Earned and Paid Media
• Experience drafting and writing earned media communications such as press releases, advisories, public statements and media talking points.
• Experience working with members of the media.
• Experience prepping people for press statements, interviews and public appearances.
• Good general knowledge of political events and current affairs.
• Experience supervising staff and managing vendors–consultants, mail, social media, etc.
• Actively invites feedback and can quickly implement it to create new and interesting content and gives meaningful and thoughtful feedback to staff.
• Manages to a deadline and budget.
Equity and Inclusion
• Commitment to social, economic and racial justice.
• Demonstrated energy and excitement to work with low-income people, people of color, and people who identify as LGBTQ.
• Written and/or spoken Spanish not required but highly desired.
Compensation and How to Apply
Salary range is $60,267 – $87,808, depending on experience, plus full family health coverage, a defined-benefit pension and a 401k match, as well as generous leave time. The position is salaried; weekend and evening work is required, as is the ability to walk and canvass for
extended periods of time during campaigns. Comp time for most weekend work. Interested candidates should submit résumé, cover letter and two samples of writing and two samples of design work to email@example.com .
The deadline for application is Friday, September 20, 2019. No phone calls please.
People of color, people with disabilities, and people of diverse sexual orientations, gender expressions and identities are encouraged to apply. SEIU is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.