ComNetworkDENVER: Centering JEDI (Justice, Equity, Diversity and Inclusion) in Communications Practices
Join our 2021 ComNetworkDENVER virtual kick-off meet-up for a candid conversation and small-group discussions about what you and your organization are doing to center racial equity in your mission-driven communications.
Together, we’ll share resources, learnings, tools, and opportunities for creating more equitable communications practices. Wherever you are on this journey, you’ll find support, ideas and even an accountability buddy or two. An important part of the session is peer-to-peer learning and interacting with other participants and we plan to spend a majority of our time in small breakout groups assigned with six specific topics:
1) Digital and Internal Communications
2) Strategy and Management
4) Thought Partnership
5) Branding and Collateral
You will receive a secure Zoom link after you register. In advance of the discussion, here are a few resources:
- Check out the Communication Network’s new Race and Racism Report and ComNetworkDEI.org, both of which offer practical and actionable advice and a collection of social sector-focused resources for further learning.
- We also invite you to think about these questions prior to joining us:
- What are ways you and your organizations can work towards an anti-racist and equity focused digital presence?
- How as communicators are you thinking about the process of adjusting your organizational strategy and management in a way that promotes anti-racism?
- How can you assess your outreach efforts to make sure they are bringing people in, with messages and engagements that are inclusive?
- In your messaging and imagery are you showcasing the strengths and aspirations of the people you serve or are you highlighting their deficits?
- How can we better equip our organizations to use anti-racist marketing and imagery?
- How as communicators can we incorporate disaggregated data in more organizational decisions?
- How can we use thoughtful and intentional planning to create a gathering that fosters racial equity and inclusion?
- Review our Community Agreements
- Radical inclusion. Everyone is welcome and belongs.
- Listen to understand, not respond.
- Give space to those who haven’t spoken yet, before you speak again.
- Acknowledge the difference between intent and impact.
- Question ideas. Not motives or individuals.
- Understand that people have multiple identities and respect people’s pronouns.
- Speak from your own experience. Avoid hypothetically speaking or playing devil’s advocate.
- Center people and authentic relationships.
- Be present. (Please try not to multitask).
- No one knows everything, but together we know a lot.