ComNetworkCHICAGO: Communicating Effectively on Tough Topics
Join ComNetworkChi for a conversation with the Joyce Foundation’s Nina Vinik, Director of Gun Violence Prevention and Justice Reform, and Bill Strong, Director of Communications, about communicating strategically around tough, complex topics.
Strategic communications professionals often grapple with how to effectively communicate about politically divisive issues that stir strong emotions. As a national leader in funding gun violence prevention work, Chicago’s Joyce Foundation is well-practiced in strategic communications that effectively reach audiences and tell stories while achieving balance around a challenging issue.
Through the lens of Joyce’s gun violence prevention work, Bill and Nina will discuss:
- When to push the message and how
- Responding to media inquiries without crossing the line into politics
- Working respectfully with families and survivors to convey the emotional toll of gun violence
- Collaborating with other funders and community organizations for increased impact
- Navigating multiple public and private sector stakeholders, including the media
This is the second event of ComNetworkCHI, Chicago’s organization for communications professionals in the nonprofit sphere. Our goal is to create a space to share knowledge, spark ideas, and connect.
There will be light refreshments and networking time. We thank Forefront for providing the venue!
5:15pm — Doors open
5:30pm – 6:30pm — Nina Vinik and Bill Strong Conversation and Q&A
6:30pm – 7:00pm — Networking
Questions about the event? Email Meredith at firstname.lastname@example.org