Maimonides Medical Center is Brooklyn’s preeminent hospital and healthcare institution. Founded in 1911 as the New Utrecht Dispensary, the Medical Center has been providing high quality patient care for over 100 years while respecting and celebrating the diversity of its patients. A nonsectarian, nonprofit institution, in 2011 the Medical Center had over 46,000 inpatient admissions, over 221,000 outpatient clinic visits and over 113,000 emergency room visits. It is committed to clinical excellence and is ranked in the top 5% of hospitals in the US for stroke, cardiology and critical care. It also delivers more babies than any other healthcare institution in New York State.
Maimonides is a complex, multidimensional institution that functions as both a community hospital and a major specialty care teaching hospital. Maimonides trains over 400 fellows, residents, and interns each year. It is also a leader in innovative treatment techniques, regularly wins awards for its advanced information technology, and has pioneered a number of procedures that are now accepted as regular medical treatment.
At its core, the Medical Center is dedicated to offering high quality, compassionate and patient-centered healthcare while being responsive to the diverse communities it serves. In furtherance of that mission, the hospital is growing in size and increasing its treatment options to meet the changing needs of the community. Key to that growth is a relevant and robust marketing plan that raises awareness of the hospital and its services.
Maimonides Medical Center is seeking a Chief Marketing Officer. He or she must be a highly energetic, smart, outgoing and experienced marketing professional who will help increase awareness and preference of Maimonides. Reporting to the Vice President for External Affairs and working closely with the Medical Center’s President, Board, and other staff, the CMO will set the direction and focus for internal and external marketing strategies including managing online initiatives through the internet, the hospital intranet, partner sites and social networking resources. In addition, he or she will work in partnership with advertising agencies and other vendors to design and implement traditional and interactive marketing campaigns for centers of excellence, service lines and physicians.
The CMO must be a hands-on manager, a strategic thinker and planner, a problem solver, and be able to respond to crises quickly and effectively. Excellent negotiation and communication skills are very important. He or she must be able to work closely with the Board and staff to promote an open, inclusive environment that emphasizes cooperation and teamwork with a minimum of ego. In addition, he or she will be bright, diplomatic, analytical, of the highest integrity, and possess sound judgment as well as a sense of humor.
- Develops short-and long-term marketing plans to meet the goals and objectives of the Medical Center.
- Responsible for internal staff e-communications. Works with other departments as appropriate to develop key messages and communications strategies for internal staff communication. Develops strategies to engage senior leadership in communications.
- Determines priorities of advertising and related marketing projects at the Medical Center and develops schedules to meet those priorities.
- Maintains communications intake request system and determines priorities in consultation with the Vice President and other external affairs staff.
- Institutes tracking of marketing efforts where appropriate. Reviews the results of marketing efforts and adapts the efforts accordingly.
- Collaborates with physicians, administrators and other employees to acquire information to be used in support of various marketing projects.
- Analyzes information about research, services, and physician activities at Maimonides for potential marketing programs.
- Analyzes department and physician needs and advises on appropriate promotional plans to meet those needs.
- Determines appropriate communication vehicles for presenting information to communities.
- Oversees preparation of written materials in support of marketing, advertising and special events.
- Supervises the Director of Marketing, and other appropriate staff.
- Coordinates with the VP of Public Affairs and Chief Development Officer.
- Manages the website, intranet and other digital marketing efforts.
- Writes and edits marketing materials including print, video and radio scripts and web page content.
- Responsible for reviewing, editing and proofreading a wide range of other collateral material.
- Maintains and adapts the Medical Center branding and visual identity plan, as necessary.
- Maintains established departmental policies and procedures, objectives, quality assurance program, safety, environmental, and infection control standards.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited four-year college or university; advanced degree preferred.
- Outstanding written and verbal skills as demonstrated in reports, correspondence and/or presentations.
- A team player who is comfortable working with volunteers, development and public relations professionals, physicians and hospital-wide staff.
- Experience in building, mentoring and motivating a team in a complex organization.
- Strong leadership ability, including management, strategic and analytical skills required.
- Excellent organizational skills with close attention to detail.
- Superior interpersonal skills with the ability to project professional competence, leadership capability and personal maturity.
- A self starter and independent thinker with good judgment, sensitivity and common sense.
- Experience as a website administrator with html coding experience preferred.
How to Apply:
Maimonides Medical Center has retained the services of Harris Rand Lusk to conduct this search. Inquiries, nominations, and applications may be directed in confidence to:
Jack Lusk, Managing Partner
Deborah Farrell Nelson, Practice Leader for Development
Harris Rand Lusk
261 Madison Avenue, 11th Floor
New York, NY 10016