New York City
Inspired by Judaism’s commitment to justice, American Jewish World Service (AJWS) works to realize human rights and end poverty in the developing world.
AJWS is seeking a digital leader to develop and build an integrated global digital presence to advance its mission, vision, programmatic work, advocacy campaigns and fundraising efforts. The director of digital communications will report to the vice president for communications and manage a growing team of digital professionals, including staff dedicated to AJWS’s Website, social media, and e-mail campaigns. He or she will lead and execute a redesign of AJWS’s Website, all digital communication to AJWS’s many audiences, social media and online marketing efforts. The director of digital communications will collaborate with the directors of national advocacy and campaigns to create dynamic national campaigns and messaging platforms. He or she will work with the entire communications team and AJWS staff in cities across the country to ensure that AJWS’s brand identity and messages are presented consistently and effectively across all digital platforms. The director of digital communications will serve as a leader at AJWS and will proactively assess and adopt emergent technologies and strategies and develop new programs accordingly. He or she will need to function as a strategist, implementer, manager and ambassador for AJWS among digital professionals and networks. Finally, the director of digital communications must be committed to achieving measureable results and hold her/himself and her/his team accountable for producing them.
The Director of Digital Communications will:
- Lead the strategy, execution and implementation of all digital communications for AJWS, including building and managing a growing team.
- Work closely with the vice president for communications to ensure an integrated and strategic approach to all aspects of AJWS’s digital presence.
- Oversee and manage a complete Website redesign and all content and functioning of the Website thereafter, collaborating with internal stakeholders to create effective Web communications.
- Oversee the management of all social media initiatives, ensuring that AJWS’s social media efforts are strategic, not duplicative, and function to expand key audiences.
- Create and implement e-mail and Web campaigns to raise funds, engage supporters in advocacy and educate key audiences. This will include generating donor and activist communications for national campaigns and collaborating to develop geographically specific communications strategies to build AJWS’s brand nationally.
- Oversee all digital marketing efforts, including paid online media, search engine marketing, internal/external partnerships, etc.
- Track and employ e-mail, Web and social marketing analytics to measure the impact of AJWS’s entire digital operation.
- Increase visibility and traffic and expand AJWS’s base of donors and advocates.
- Monitor and respond to emergencies and natural disasters in the developing world and design and manage AJWS’s online response.
- Minimum 3 years of experience in a senior management position in a non-profit committed to advocacy or a political campaign.
- Minimum 5 years of digital campaign experience in advocacy communications and fundraising.
- Proven track record in growing Website traffic, social media followership, and e-lists.
- Strong project management skills, including exceptional organizational skills and attention to details; ability to drive and manage projects from conception to completion.
- Proven management experience and the ability to cultivate a high-functioning team, juggle multiple tasks under tight deadlines and meet schedules and assigned tasks in a timely manner.
- Excellent writing, editing, proofreading and verbal communication skills.
- Highly professional demeanor with strong interpersonal skills and judgment and a demonstrated ability to manage internal teams, contractors and consultants with emotional intelligence and good humor.
- Capable of working well with a wide variety of personalities and leadership styles and multiple departments in a complex organization.
- Creative, resourceful, flexible team player.
- Strong analytical skills and data management experience.
- Experience and facility with Raiser’s Edge, CRM and CMS platforms
- Knowledge of politics, advocacy, human rights, international development and the American Jewish community, a plus. Must possess a commitment to global justice and deep respect for other cultures.
How to Apply:
For immediate consideration, please forward your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org and indicate your name and “Director of Digital Communications” in the subject line. Applications submitted without a personalized cover letter will not be considered.
We thank you for your interest in career opportunities with AJWS. Due to high volume, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
AJWS is an equal opportunity employer and provides competitive salaries and benefits.