The German Marshall Fund of the United States (GMF) strengthens transatlantic cooperation on regional, national, and global challenges and opportunities in the spirit of the Marshall Plan.
GMF does this by supporting individuals and institutions working in the transatlantic sphere, by convening leaders and members of the policy and business communities, by contributing research and analysis on transatlantic topics, and by providing exchange opportunities to foster renewed commitment to the transatlantic relationship.
In addition, GMF supports a number of initiatives to strengthen democracies. Founded in 1972 as a non-partisan, non-profit organization through a gift from Germany as a permanent memorial to Marshall Plan assistance, GMF maintains a strong presence on both sides of the Atlantic. In addition to its headquarters in Washington, DC, GMF has offices in Berlin, Paris, Brussels, Belgrade, Ankara, Bucharest, Warsaw, and Tunis. GMF also has smaller representations in Bratislava, Turin, and Stockholm.
The German Marshall Fund of the United States (GMF) seeks an Online Communications Specialist to serve the web needs of a dynamic transatlantic organization. This position is based in Washington, DC, and is part of GMF’s Communications Team.
Key Areas of Responsibility:
- Editing the GMF website, including posting content such that it attracts users and search engines, managing across the organization to identify and encourage (and even self-produce) new and relevant content, and generally ensuring that the GMF website is timely, relevant, and newsworthy;
- Mastery of the content management system (WordPress) for the GMF website;
- Promoting GMF content through social media and web promotion and partnerships;
- Monitoring Google Analytics, setting traffic goals, and developing and implementing strategies—including SEO—to drive traffic to the GMF website;
- Monitoring, utilization, and promotion of social media assets; stimulating conversation and engaging with followers of GMF social media handles;
- Managing a set of related GMF web properties, including blog.gmfus.org,www.brusselsforum.org, www.atlanticdialogues.org, www.menapartnership.org, and www.transatlantictrends.org;
- Working with and managing outside website vendors and contractors when necessary, including budgeting and priorities management;
- Managing the livestreaming of GMF events and conferences;
- Serving as part of a communications team, with additional duties as warranted, including event management, media relations, drafting of press releases and media advisories;
- Participating in communications team effort on major international conferences; and
- Liaising with other departments to share information throughout the organization, and to ensure quality and consistency of external communications.
Qualifications and Requirements:
- A detail-oriented and strategic thinker with a strong interest and understanding of transatlantic issues and international relations.
- A minimum of a bachelor’s degree in English, Communications, Journalism, International Relations, Computer Science, or related field and 3 years of experience in managing web content, particularly with a policy-oriented focus.
- Experience promoting online material and generating traffic through SEO, social media, and AdWords.
- Excellent English-language skills, experience in editing copy.
- Excellent organizational, multi-tasking, and time management skills.
- Experience managing vendor relationships and projects.
- Strong editing, website design/management, and technical skills, including familiarity with HTML5, CSS, AJAX, Git Version Control System, Dreamweaver, and Photoshop software.
- Experience working on a website through a content management system (please specify).
- Demonstrated entrepreneurial initiative.
- Experience building and editing WordPress themes, developing plugins, and knowledge of reactive and mobile web standards is a plus.
- Experience tracking web traffic metrics in Google Analytics a plus.
- Proven ability to work independently within a team environment.
- Ability to travel internationally on occasion to support large international conferences.
How to Apply:
To be considered for this position, please submit your cover letter, current resume, and URLs of websites you have built, developed, or managed, along with your salary requirement (Please save this as one file) by applying at https://home2.eease.adp.com/recruit/?id=4982112. Due to the high volume of responses, we will only contact candidates of interest.
GMF is an Equal Opportunity Employer.